the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring in rear defrost for new remote starter (resolved)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes there are limitations with the remote start, such as the available outputs. Anything is possible, just depends what compromises that you are willing to make.
You could hook up the lock signal as I described in my first reply. Then program the remote start for "Lock after start". This will lock the car and set the defrost to on after the car is started.
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2017 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I'll get back to you with what I find.
Just to mention, after the remote starter starts the car, the doors lock as it is now. I'll follow up. thanks again.
awb
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2017 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to wire in a rear defrost switch to come on when remote starting the car. I really need someone kind enough to assist me with the step by step wiring configuration to make this happen. This is for a 1995 buick lesabre. From my research thus far I believe the pink wire is connected to the rear defrost. I need to check to see if that is the case. If so, splicing into that pink wire is the only thing I really know how to do. I installed the remote starter kit myself. I do have keyless entry with the remote starter. The excellent thing is after the vehicle remotely starts the remote starter locks the car for safety. I can maybe tie into the locking setup to trigger the rear defrost to come. I'm lost at this point. Thanks for reading.
awb
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2017 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
lectricguy,
So I checked the pink wire, this is the activation wire for rear defrost button. I got 12 volts at the wire while the car was running. Once pushing in the rear defrost button the volt meter read 0 volts for the pink activation wire. So with saying that, would I use the yellow/black wire from the remote starter 12 pin wire harness to splice into the pink rear defrost wire?
If not, do I need to factor in a relay? If so, my relay that I have has 5 pins. Do I use only 4 pins out of the 5? I think I'm getting closer to figuring this out but am far from finishing or understanding what to do next. Thanks again!
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2017 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
So just to be clear, are you measuring from 12V to the defrost button lead, or from ground to the button lead?
Is the signal momentary or does it remain, or stay "latched" after pushing the defrost button?
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2017 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean? I also don't know what you mean my latching?
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2017 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
This is a pretty basic question, but to simplify, latched means it stays at a constant state (like your headlight output for example), versus a momentary pulse (like your power door lock switch).
Lectric Guy
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I will follow up. Thanks
awb
awbooth 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
So, I had my meter black grounded wire hooked up to ground, (vehicle ground) I than used my red positive probe and spiked the "white" wire from the heat control... it was not the "pink" wire I thought it initially was. So I had the black wire from my meter to vehicle ground and red wire from meter piercing(spiking) white wire. I had 12 volts on the white wire while the vehicle is running and rear defrost switch off, once I pushed in the rear defrost switch to turn it on(the little red light came on the switch to confirm the switch is on), the voltage went down to 0. Does that make sense?
awb
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2017 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
It makes sense, the switch is providing a ground when the defroster is on. My guess is that the 0 volt reading remains after you release the switch (latched) not just during the time the switch is actually being pressed (pulsed).
If this is the case, you can use the ORANGE / white wire in the default (ACC) position to turn on defrost during remote start.
Lectric Guy
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic