the12volt.com spacer
icon

99 tahoe pljx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whitty121 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2017 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whitty121
Hi everyone.
My passlock system is playing up on my tahoe, right now I have a 10k resistor hooked into it to help it start, which it does but if left for more than an hour I need to wait 10 minutes. Most likely because the resistor isn't the right one ( I have no RadioShack near me ( Danville va ) so I used one out of an old tv )
I've decided an override box would be worth a try, I've bought the xprresskit pljx box. Which comes with no instructions.
I've managed to find an install guide on the net which looks easy enough, it does leave one question though....
The yellow passlock wire, at the moment I've cut it to install the resistor, do I reconnect it or do I leave it cut and wire the bypass to the cable the same as the resistor method.
Thank you for any help
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2017 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Why not eliminate the Passlock2 system? You can even use the 10k ohm resistor. Here is a post with the instructions:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=123309&kw=racing_bidule
Soldering is fun!
whitty121 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2017 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whitty121
That's what I've got at the moment, it works but it's not great, I have to do the relearn quite a lot, I think the resistor is rubbish, it's from an old crt tv and must be 25 years old lol
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2017 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Switch to an other resistor, preferable one below 2k with at least a Gold tolerance band ( 5% ). Here is a link to a resistor
band color chart. http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band
Gold should be OK but if you can find one with Brown ( 2% ), Red (1% ) or Grey ( .5% ) that would be even better. I always
solder them in with heatshrink covering the resistor and connections.
A data style bypass module would be the best bet. I'd go with an iDatalink ADS TBSL PL bypass module. You could hardwire
the +12V & Chassis ground and use Keysense as the GWR input. Here is the Keysense info :
Keysense      Light GREEN (-)              @ 48 PIN CONN. TO LEFT OF STEERING COLUMN
Here is a link the ADS TBSL PL install guide :
https://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/TB-PL/ADS-TBSL-PL_20110120.pdf
Soldering is fun!
whitty121 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2017 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whitty121
That looks a bit like the xpresskit pljx box I have.
I can install it easy enough I just don't know what to do with the yellow passlock wire, leave it cut and wire it into the box or reconnect it back together and tap into it.
The whole system on my tahoe is crap, the security light never goes off now. It's one of the worse systems I've ever come across.
kreg357 
Posted: February 07, 2017 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The iDatalink ADS TBSL PL does not connect or use the Yellow Passlock2 wire at all. It's a Data style bypass and connects to the J1850 wire at the ODB2 plug. The PLJX connects to the Yellow Passlock2 wire and the Passlock reference wire.
Passlock2 can be a PITA. Beside the ignition cylinder going bad, I've seen where a bad engine ground can throw them off.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic