the12volt.com spacer
icon

95 Buick Park Avenue, Compustar CS-800

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
talktotravis 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2017 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote talktotravis
Hi all,
Installing a Compustar CS800-S keyless entry/remote start into a 1995 Buick Park Avenue. The brain has a low-amperage output
(250 ma, negative signal) and the Buick requires a negative input to trigger the horn, like most cars. I've never installed something that wasn't an alarm also, so I've not dealt with horns--everything else had a siren, but I'd like to enable the horn for confirmation that the doors locked, etc.
Do I need a relay to boost the ground signal for this application, or should it be OK as is? I searched the forum but most horn topics had to do with aftermarket horns or switching from siren/horn, etc.
Thanks in advance--
Travis
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2017 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
You should be OK with a direct connect connection to the Black wire in the steering column.
Soldering is fun!
talktotravis 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote talktotravis
Hello all,
Just finished installing a Compustar CS-800 Remote Start (only, not security system) into a 95 Buick Park Ave. I was not aware this car had a factory security system, however, it has become apparent that it does, as when using the remotes to unlock the doors or start, the horn will begin honking. I did successfully disable VATS using a relay and resistors as demonstrated on the site.
The Compustar has a 250ma (-) factory disarm wire that provides a pulse on unlock, start, and trunk opening. The table provided on the site here for the Park Avenue says that it is a light green wire in the driver's door boot but does not indicate the polarity required...can I connect this wire directly to the Compustar or does it require a positive pulse? If negative, is the ground provided by the alarm sufficient, or do I need to provide a stronger ground with a relay? Finally, the alarm can provide a single or double pulse...which one should I program for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Travis
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/351.html
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2017 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
Light green wire is a negative trigger circuit. It will show ground when you use the key in the outside driver's door key cylinder to unlock the doors. You can connect the disarm circuit from the Compustar module directly to the wire.
sparky
talktotravis 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote talktotravis
Thank you, Sparkie!
talktotravis 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2017 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote talktotravis
Hello all,
I'm finishing the install of a Compustar CS800 into a 95 Buick Park Avenue. All connections have been made except for the horn...I checked the wiring guide here and with Omega, both for the Park Avenue and its GM sister cars (LeSabre, Olds 98, Pontiac Bonneville), and all indicate the horn is a (-) Black wire at the steering column. Because of the design of the dash on this car it is difficult to get directly to the column, but there are two distinct groups of wires: One is the ignition harness, including the two VATS wires, and there is a ribbon cable of 4-5 wires that drives the buttons on the steering wheel (temp, radio, volume, seek/scan).
To make a long story short, I cannot find a black wire coming off the steering column for the horn and have looked/traced the wires as high as I can. Has anyone else done this car that can give me some pointers or advice on where this horn wire might be, or if perhaps Directechs/Compustar say that it is a different color/different place?
Thanks
Travis
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2017 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The black horn wire is likely an 18 gauge wire which may be like a ribbon with other wires. The ribbon goes up into the steering column and connects to the turn signal switch. Check it with a volt meter. It should rest at 12 volts and go to ground when the horn is activated.
sparky

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic