the12volt.com spacer
icon

2010 Tacoma Proximity Push Button Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jage 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jage
OK starting a general questions thread for my install that I'll come back to with repeat questions.
I am installing an Easyguard Universal Top Quality PKE (Passive Keyless Entry) in addition to a 556U key chip bypass.
First question: The easyguard seems to have 4 proximity antennas (long/longish wires with a 3" skinny black box at the end with adhesive). The installation instructions have an obscure diagram of where to run them. The question is where to route these wires/antennas in a Tacoma Double Cab? The illustration is included is my guess, feel free to draw something or explain or just say (X & Y colors).
2010 Tacoma Proximity Push Button Install -- posted image.
Thanks!
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2017 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beegbie
I would leave the placement of the antennas for the last step of the install. Do everything else then experiment with placement to see if it picks up the remote from where you need it to.
jage 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2017 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jage
The antennas were supposed to be installed in a "T", so I put one on the passenger side of the mirror horizontally at the edge, the other at the driver rear window vertically. Remains to be seen how they work.
NEXT QUESTION
The ignition harness has several wires I need to tap into. At the same time a copy of the key needs to be left in the ignition to release the steering lock.
Is there any reason to leave the ignition harness plugged into the ignition? The push button is going to handle ACC/ON, ignition, stop. The harness doesn't power anything that I can tell. I don't see a reason to have it plugged in, apart from key override- which I actually don't want since there will be a chip eliminator and they key will be left in the ignition.
The instructions have nothing about this, they only indicate tapping into the appropriate wires and leaving the key in the first position to unlock the steering wheel. Nothing (e.g. starter wire) is disconnected per instructions.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2017 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
it would be a good idea to leave the ignition harness plugged in, while its true you can technically power everything up through the push button kit, if you unplug it and the unit fails for some reason then youll have to plug it back in... its a fail safe so why unplug it if you dont have to.
as far as routing the antennas, does it need to be outside the truck? i guess it says thats where they should go but i would see how it works if you leave it inside because running wires outside of a car can be a little tricky sometimes if you want them completely hidden. if the have to go outside then run them outside seam where the fenders meet the A pillar, then up the sides of the windshield gasket, youll need a plastic pry bar so you dont scratch the paint, then if you need to go all the way to the back you can run the wires under the roof trim that covers the seam between body and roof. its hard to say exactly how this piece comes off because theres so many different ways that they can be attached so if you can just pry it up enough to get the wire down in there that would be best. if you do have to remove it completely then dont bend it because youll never get it to look right again after you do.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2017 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
oh i see why you want the ignition harness unplugged... took me a second to think about it. if its just for the column lock then there might be an electronic way to release it or maybe theres a physical mechanism you could rig up but i would still do everything i could to keep it plugged in.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic