the12volt.com spacer
icon

Suggestions for a pair of 8 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greg-o 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2017 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote greg-o
Hello all!
This is my first posting to 12volt.com as I am a new member as of about 1 hour ago! I am looking forward to learning from everyone and would like to thank you all for your suggestions in advance. I have not been into car audio much since the 90's however I was loving it as far back as 1986. I owned some beautiful old school equipment back in the day when the tunes were being played on my Concorde HPL-518 cassette deck because CD's were not even around yet. I had a few monster Kenwood amps in the trunk, 4 10" Kenwood subs ran IB in the back dash, Alpine Triax back there somewhere and Pioneer super tweeters up front bouncing off the windshield. All this installed in my first car which was a 1979 Firebird. Man I miss that car and stereo! Over the years I have always had upgraded sound in my autos and have owned A/D/S, US Amps, JL, JBL, Boston, RF, etc. Here I am all these years later and I still havent outgrown it. I just dont turn it up quite so much and dont spend nearly as much money.       
So heres the very modest project I'm working on as well as my questions. Equipment is going into my 2012 Ram 1500 single cab.
Building a custom enclosure to fit into rear storage tray that runs full length of cab behind the front seats. Not the ideal design but meets my objective cosmetically (nice and stealthy). SQ is my objective and I have always been a fan of nice tight bass from a sealed enclosure. My enclosure consists of two chambers with internal volume of .42 cubic ft each. I have accounted for bracing but not subwoofer displacement since I dont know what I will be using. I currently have 5" of top mount clearance to back wall of enclosure but I plan to make spacers to give me 5.5 to 5.75 top mount depth. I can of course reduce my internal volume but am fully utilizing my space and can not increase volume but I dont believe that will be an issue going sealed. The subwoofers will be firing directly up. I have not yet purchased the amp but was thinking of something in the 200 to 300 rms range. Also was wanting the amp to see a 4ohm load to keep it running clean and cool. I would consider a pair of 6" subs if its best for my application? I have done a bit of research and was thinking Daytons, ID8s, Tang Bands, Arc Audio, just to give you an idea of my budget. TC sounds has a beautiful little 6 and 8 as well but I think they are more SPL geared. All suggestions would be appreciated! I can provide photos if that would help.
Existing equipment currently installed is:
Clarion Pro Audio from 2002
A/D/S 4 channel amp from 1990
CDT Audio components in front doors
Orion HCCA silk dome tweeters in the front dash - my imaging is terrible. Im thinking I need to remove these. Suggestions appreciated.
Removed the factory speakers from rear pillars and do not plan to run anything back there.
So - I apologize if I was long winded I just wanted to provide as much info as you guys need in order to help. Nice to be on the forum!
Thanks all!
Greg-O
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whitemike0110
A great 8" is the sundown audio X. But there's more than 300 watts a piece. The jlw7 8" is only 500 watts a piece, very efficient.
Hello.
seeleyboy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2017 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote seeleyboy
Agreed with White Mike... The Sundown EV 8's are 200-300wts, but in the world of 8's, the ev8's are the gold members when it comes to small area uses, they are designed to run in compact encloses and lower wattage. but check into the specs, they do run quit deep with those huge magnets, sorry I am lazy and dont feel like researching it... good luck and enjoy...
noise is not music!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2017 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
The Tang Band 6.5" subs are quite nice for the price.
Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic