the12volt.com spacer
icon

12v circuit breaker to trip when alarm triggered

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chrisxiv 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisxiv
What's up guys and gals.. I've been a long time lurker here and I'm a seasoned 12volt installer for almost 2 decades now.
Anyway, I'm looking to do something a little bit differently on this truck I've been working on... It's a highly modified 2000 GMC Sierra. It has a lot of aftermarket parts installed and is a high commodity on the black market, to say the very least. While I was just wiring up a dedicated circuit for a high flow fuel pump the other day, the idea dawned upon me to wire an inline circuit breaker to the constant power line of the fuel pump circuit...
Then instead of using the typical starter kill, OEM passlock 2 from GM, (which are both worthless preventive theft devices to any experienced car thief) I could use this circuit breaker as a manual fuel pump kill method. I'm not going To disclose where I plan on hiding the relay, for obvious reasons...
But basically what I'm looking to do is use the Alarm trigger Output, which normally sounds the alarms siren for 30 seconds(or additional backup battery/siren), from the Viper 5702 alarm module to trigger a relay that will intentionally short out and trip the in-line circuit breaker to the dedicated circuit on the fuel pump. This way, any time the alarm is triggered(I don't use warn away chirps on any of my doors or hood, etc) the circuit breaker will be shorted out by the alarms output to the siren or backup battery/siren. The breaker will then need to be manually flipped back on to close the circuit in order for the fuel pump to work again.
I already have a DEI backup battery/siren combo add-on installed in the truck. The smartest idea I can come up with would be To use the alarms trigger from this output to trip the relay, which will in turn be wired to short the fuel pump circuit...
What is the best/safest way to wire this in?
There's never enough time to do it right first time, but there's always enough time to go back and do it again..
chrisxiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisxiv
12v circuit breaker to trip when alarm triggered -- posted image.
There's never enough time to do it right first time, but there's always enough time to go back and do it again..
chrisxiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisxiv
I posted a rough layout of what I think might work.. Can any of you please offer some input on this?
Also, what's the best output trigger to use on the Viper 5702 alarm?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The safest way is to only install a starter kill circuit. The way you have shown the diagram will power the fuel pump all the time and drain the battery. If the alarm system has a dual zone shock sensor, simply tripping the warn setting will chirp the siren and activate the circuit. For safety reasons, a starter circuit should only be disabled. For liability reasons, you should never install a circuit that will shut the vehicle off while driving if it activates or fails. A starter kill circuit will at worst prevent you from starting the vehicle if it fails. If your vehicle fails while driving and is caused by a modification you would be held libel for any damages or worse injury. No professional installer would ever risk this. Forget your idea and instead install a starter kill circuit that is well hidden and it will do what you need.
sparky
chrisxiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chrisxiv
First off, the fuel pump is activated through another relay, along with the prime circuit through the factory wiring. I did not show this, to eliminate confusion, since it was not being discussed.
I still don't see understand your reasoning behind the fact that you don't feel like it's safe? Like I already mentioned in the first post, I did not wire any of the warm away triggers in this alarm install. All doors pins, good, etc are set to immediately trigger the alarm. There are also two sirens installed to this alarm. The regular one that comes with it, as well as the backup battery/siren, which is tripped usually in the event the alarm is disconnected from the battery.
If you understand the logic behind this, it works the same way one of the backup battery/siren modules do, which Have the computer style key lock needed to re-enable it after an alarm trigger. Those devices have their downsides though.
And lastly, I am the owner of the vehicle as well as the installer, so there is no concern for liability here. Your concerns for safety and the fact that this circuit could magically get tripped when the vehicle is being driven as pretty far fetched. If you really DO know anything about custom security installs and starter kill methods, you would know that circuits like this are used all the time in remote starter kill systems, such as the ones used in Bait Car along with many others.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
If you truly believed stuff like this was being done all the time and that it was safe, I don't think you'd be on an internet forum asking others if it was safe or how to do it safely.
I think you underestimate OEM immobilizers and overestimate the modern car thief and the worth of a 17 year old GMC. But personal opinion aside, IF I thought your 17 year old truck was so valuable that I'd spend time and resources defeating the passlock 2 and aftermarket alarm, I'd just get a tow truck and tow the thing away repo man style. Your silly extra piece of mind does nothing against that. If you were to be honest with yourself, because of the dominance of OEM immobilizers, most car theft these days are done by car jacking or pick pocketing car keys. The hollywood-esque car thieves running around with laptops and electronic gizmos, hot wiring cars in the cover night is not the mainstream.
In summary, a starter kill on top of the factory installed immobilizer is more than enough to protect your 17 year old GMC. The only better protection is a garage.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2017 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
Safety is the main concern. Things break and no matter how good you think you have wired something, it can go wrong or break. If you are only concerned with your safety then I hope you never drive in this area. You are fooling yourself to think you aren't libel. If you cause an accident and it is determined you are to blame and your modifications were the cause, you should hope you have the best lawyer around because you would be in serious trouble. As mentioned, if the thief wants your vehicle, they will get it. Invest in a tracking system as it will be of more benefit. If you don't like the answers from this forum, I'm sorry. You asked and got professional advice. That's why this forum is so good.
sparky

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic