the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Keyless entry system stopped working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
camry_need_help 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote camry_need_help
I have a 2001 Camry LE (4 Cyl) that my son drives. As relayed by him, the remote stopped working gradually. WHat He means by "gradually" is that it was erratic at first. It would work some of the time and not at others. I found out about it when it stopped working completely. I changed the battery, but it still does not work. It would not lock or unlock doors, remote starter does not work anymore. Since I am not the original owner of the car, I am not sure exactly, which AudioVox system was installed (. The remote is marked Prestige on the front and 620TX on the back, along with FCC ID. It looks like the security system installed on it could be some version of APS 620 or something similar. It's just a guess.
Based on an old insurance inspection report I found in the glove box, it appears that it has a security system with active disabling device that had to be activated manualll, and power trunk release but I was never able to unlock the trunk but my son never used the rmote to unlock the trunk so I don't know if the unlocking trunk function worked while doors lock/unlock were still working.
I am looking for help in how to begin diagnosing the issue.
Thanks very much in advance.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2017 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
If you have remote start and security, it sounds like you might have an APS920 system in the vehicle. This remote start/security system has a common remote with the APS620.
The best bet is to start by following the antenna wire down from the headliner to under the dash, and finding the module that it is connected to.
The label on the unit will give the model number.   Here are the install and owner's manuals for the APS920:
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/docs/common/APS920/APS920_IM.pdf
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/docs/common/APS920/APS920_OM.pdf
If you can find the module, and the pushbutton switch that allows you to program the unit, you might want to try reprogramming the remote first. If you have no success, check the antenna and power.
Antennas can sometimes go bad; I would look at the antenna cable first--I have seen these damaged during windshield replacement. Also, make sure that the antenna is plugged into the cable firmly and the cable is plugged into the unit firmly.
If all is OK with the antenna cable and connections, check that there are solid ground and power connections to the unit.
At that point, you should have some symptoms of what is happening.
Let us know what you find...
Lectric Guy
camry_need_help 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote camry_need_help
Thank you lectriguy. We were able to locate the module. It's APS620a, which does not have the security/alram function.   The paper in the glove box, which had been filled out by an insurance adjuster in 2005, had the box for security system checked. I guess he made a mistake. He had it checked as factory installed. It's obviously an after market system. Audiovoxx says that often, installers do not install the override switch or the LED (to indicate that the remote start function is enabled). Without the override switch, we are out of luck.
There is electrical tape wrapped around the fuse attached to the module. The module had to turned around and over to find the model number. I shall have my son look more carefully to see of there is a push switch. The APS620 manual says the over-ride switch is a a push switch. At least we have some information now. I can't understand why the installer would not install the overrode switch and/or the LED.
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Often times installers don't leave the programming switch in the unit after programming. Nothing special about the switch, it is a standard momentary pushbutton switch with a 2 pin connector which plugs into the Remote Start. Search ebay for "Audiovox Push Button Switch" and you will find one.
The LED on the APS620 does nothing unless you are programming, and if you have the horn hooked up, it is unnecessary. You can also find a combo LED/Switch on ebay if you feel that you want it.   
If you have a switch, it will be plugged into the blue 2 pin connector on the module, next to the 7 pin harness. The switch wires will be black and gray.
It is common for installers to tape over the fuses during an install to keep them tight and protect them from shorting (ends are exposed).
Here are the Owners and Install manual links for the APS620:
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/docs/common/APS620/APS620_OM.pdf
http://www.voxxelectronics.com/docs/common/APS620/APS620_IM.pdf
So I would check for the presence of the switch. If you don't have one, I would get one from ebay and plug it into the APS620. Then follow my first post. I have installed a lot of APS620 remote starters and can help if you get stuck.
Good Luck, and Keep us posted.
Lectric Guy
camry_need_help 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote camry_need_help
Thank you lectriguy. You have been very helpful. You are right in the sense that one does not need the override/valet/programing switch or the LED for using the system, except when something goes wrong. I don;t think the horn is not hooked up since only the lights flashed when the lock/unlock and remote starting functions were working. I also noticed that the switch under the trunk, that prevents remote starting when the hood is open, was also not installed. If it has fallen off or something, I would see a hole where it was. I didn't mind it that much since we didn't have to get back into the car to start it when i needed to look for something when the car was running. I also see that preventing accidental starting is a matter of safety.
I shall certainly keep you posted and will probably have more questions as my son and I go along. Progress will be slow as I have a really bad back and he is in school. I will probably rig a switch with an LED on my own by canabalising components from other electronics. What are the possible causes for a remote to stop working, if wiring the module and the fuse are good? There is always a possibility that one of the module or the fuse has gone bad.
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2017 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
What are the possible causes for a remote to stop working, if wiring the module and the fuse are good? There is always a possibility that one of the module or the fuse has gone bad.
Here are my thoughts--
1.) The remote could be bad. It can happen from general wear or the battery. Does the light still flash on the remote? AutoZone has a remote checker where you can actually test the remote field strength to see if there is output...free.
2.) Bad antenna cable/connections. As I stated above, windshield replacement can damage/cut the antenna wire. Also the connectors on either end can squash the male mating pins or not be fully inserted. All areas for visual inspection.
3.) Bad connections or Fuses. Checking the fuses first is straight forward. How were the connections made to the vehicle wiring? Look carefully at the ignition connections (heavy gauge 6 pin harness). For the remote to work for keyless entry, you only need power (red, red-white), Ignition(Blue), and Ground (Black), as well as lights (white to lights red-white to ground or 12V depending on the light circuit used), and lock/unlock (Green/red).
Check the integrity of these connections. You can unplug the 6 pin heavy gauge connector at the remote start and check the presence of voltage at the connector with a voltmeter. turn the ignition to on and confirm you have ignition and accessory voltage present.   If there is a ring terminal on the ground, make sure the crimp is secure. Check that the ground connection to the car is not loose and is touching bare (unpainted) metal on the vehicle.
4.) Bad Antenna. I have seen this once or twice. If all else checks out, this is a possibility.
5.) APS620 Brain--fairly robust, haven't had an issue with these. I would try programming with the brain to ensure it responds.
Hope this helps.
Lectric Guy
camry_need_help 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2017 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote camry_need_help
You are amazingly full of good information lectric guy.
1)The red LED on the remote does come on when any button is pressed on the remote. That just means that the light works. Will have autozone check the field strength. Do you know whether it works on infra red, or some other range of frequency?
2) Windshield has not been replaced since I have owned the car. That alone does not rule out bad connection at the antenna since they could have been stressed before I got the car. Have not been able to get a good visual on wires at the antenna end. It appears that one wore is black with white stripe and the other two are black? Maybe one of the two remain black wires have a stripe of of another color, which I have not been able to see.
3)The blue fuse (15 amp, I think)) which was taped to the APS 620 module is fine. Of course it does not mean that integrity of the fuse connection to the module is OK. I did try to disconnect the connector with heavy gauge wires. I probably didn't push the tab far enough to allow the connector to be pulled out. I shall try again.
I shall also take pictures of the module along with various connectors hooked to it so that I can understand your posts and think in the comfort of the living room.
Picking your brain helped me organise my thoughts and define scope or extent of the problem.
lectricguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2017 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
To answer your questions...The remote, like almost all automobile remotes, is rf(radio frequency). The output frequency is 433MHz--common frequency range for alarms and remote starts. The led not lighting is an indication that there could be another issue with the remote...cracked board, bad component, etc.---no guarantee, just an indication.
To remove the 6 pin connector, you will need to press the release tab on top and pull the connector out at the same time. A firm but steady pull should do it.
I agree it is easier to think about it in a warm house rather than under the dash on a cold day...to verify the connections you will need some time in the car for disassembly and test.
Lectric Guy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic