the12volt.com spacer
icon

Blowing 200A breakers from alternators, stabaliz

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badfish729 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2017 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote badfish729
Blowing 200A breakers from alternators, stabaliz - Last Post -- posted image.
Attached is my current setup on a GMC Savana Extended Cargo Van, 2500.
Here is my issue, I can't pull more than 200 Amps, when I do the breaker blows. This is from each breaker on both alternators. The picture doesn't show them, or the fuses.
Being somewhat new to this I am wondering how to stabilize voltage here? Ideally, the 14.4 should be charging the batteries, and the batteries should be providing the power. Each amp will pull about 350 Amps according to bigdwiz on you tube.... I am doing a half ohm load. The wiring is all 0 gauge. I am aware each battery is not the same, and I can't fit a 350 amp alternator where the 250 is.
The common is connected to the middle battery as the main battery is still in the engine area. The other 5 batteries are in the cabin. Keep in mind this is 2 totally separate electrical systems. All lengths of wire are the same. Wiring is all the same. EAch amp is pushing 2 12" subs at 1 ohm, so producing a .5 ohm load.
Anybody with any ideas.
badfish729 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2017 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote badfish729
So the real question is how to stabilize voltage.... Also I am sorry slipped my mind, right before the amps on each line there is a 8 Farad capacitor
badfish729 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2017 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote badfish729
My headlights don't dimm, everything is running fine as far as electrical. When bass is hitting really hard, my voltage will drop from 14 (sometimes 13.5/7 depending on if the alternator is hot, and engine load), Aux alternator seems to be more stable around 14.4/2. But when the bass is hitting really hard, I see the voltage actually will drop to 12.5 range which tells me its pulling everything and then some from the battery. Even then the headlights don't dimm
I also do charge the batteries every week!
Sorry for the multiple posts all this just came to mind.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2017 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
sounds like you need to upgrade your wire and double up on your 0 gauge runs. if each amp is pulling around 350 amps of current then that is above the rating for a single run of 0 gauge wire. something is getting hot and that is likely why the breaker keeps tripping because it is probably the weakest link in the chain. what size breakers are you using? also it would be best not to mismatch batteries like you are doing now. also i would lose the capacitors, they only give you a boost for a moment and then they become just another load on your electrical system and thats not the thing you want happening when trying to sustain a long bass note. make sure your extra batteries have a really really good ground and for a system that big you definitely need to do a big 3 upgrade to your factory wiring under the hood. these mods all help current flow better through your system and should help smooth out any voltage drops.
badfish729 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2017 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote badfish729
Thats the thing, its a 200 Amp breaker, on both alternators, so I am debating should I let it pull max current from the alternator or not? I am also changing amp to hcca 5000.1 by Orion, I am using 2 of them, same setup, however 2 ohm load, vs the .5 ohm. The wire temperature is actually pretty low, when I check with my fluke its normally between 70-90, not hot at all... Mixing and matching batteries is one thing that is true but what sucks is it ended up like that and I don't want to throw away perfectly good batteries lol, with the rules of electricity it should work fine. I think the load from the alternator is where I am falling here, Is it advisable to increase the breaker size to the max of each alternator?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic