the12volt.com spacer
icon

Momentary to Pulse Relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davelloyd 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2017 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davelloyd
Hi,
My first post here and I know nothing about electronics and wondered if I could get a little advice?
I wired up a relay following this diagram and it works fine.
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram20.html
However, is it possible to make the capacitor discharge more quickly so that the relay becomes operable in a shorter space of time?
Is it simply a matter of using a lower value resistor than the 10k one in the diagram and if so how low of a value can that be? I would like a recovery time of about 1 second rather the the 10 seconds it is taking now.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2017 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Use a smaller capacitor for a shorter output duration using the constant to momentary diagram you linked to in your post, however it sounds like you're using a larger capacitor than the one shown.
Momentary to Pulse Relay - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
davelloyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2017 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davelloyd
Thanks for the advice.
I am using a 1k uf capacitor and a 1k ohm resistor as per the diagram and the output time is about 1/2 second and that is just fine.
Holding the input switch down for any length of time, gives a constant 12v supply and produces the same 1/2 second pulse which is just what I need.
However, the input switch may be pressed for different lengths of time and may need pressing again after a couple of seconds but I am finding that it takes about 10 secs for the capacitor to bleed it's charge down to ground through the resistor and it's that time that I am trying to shorten.
My thoughts were that if I used a smaller resister, say 5k ohms, would the capacitor discharge more quickly without causing a direct short circuit?
Dave
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2017 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Think less resistance rather than smaller. 5K is more resistance than 1K. You can try a 500 ohm resistor with the 1K micro farad capacitor, but I would suggest using a smaller capacitor instead. Both will give you a shorter output than the 1/2 second output you have now.
Momentary to Pulse Relay - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
davelloyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2017 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davelloyd
Ok.
I made a mistake in my previous post I am using a 10k ohm resistor and not 1k as posted.
The output time of 1/2 second is just fine and I don't want to change that.
After the 12 volt input is removed it takes about 10 secs for the capacitor to bleed it's charge down. If I re-apply the input within that 10 seconds the relay does not operate.
It's the 10 seconds "recovery" time I want to shorten so that I can re-apply the input within, say 2 seconds.
Thanks
Dave
the12volt 
Posted: May 09, 2017 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
No problem. In that case, try a 5K resistor and please post your results.
davelloyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2017 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davelloyd
Thanks for the help.
I ordered a few resistors of different values so hopefully I'll be able to try it over the weekend if they show up in time.
I will, certainly, let you know the results.
Dave
davelloyd 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davelloyd
I fitted a 5K ohm resistor.
The pulse time of 1/2 second stayed the same.
The capacitor discharged in about 7 seconds rather than the 12-15 seconds previously.
thanks for the help.
Dave
lulanord 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lulanord
Hi...i am a new user here. I think 5K is more resistance than 1K. You can try a 500 ohm resistor with the 1K micro farad capacitor, but I would suggest using a smaller capacitor instead. Both will give you a shorter output than the 1/2 second output you have now.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic