the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need advice on next subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mjshealy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjshealy
Hello all, new member but have been coming to the site for many years. I have a 97 Camaro which I just recently made an integrated subwoofer box for, for 2- 12" subs. It is a divided box, ported, with approximately 2.0 - 2.2 cubic feet per sub. I currently have a Pioneer AVH-X7500BT 7" flip out touchscreen, two 12" Kicker CompVR 12's(at 4 ohms... i know), with two Alpine 500w RMS class D Mono amps(2 ohm stable), one for each sub. I have had these subs for about 7 years now, and want something better. I would need either a SVC 2 ohm or DVC 4 ohm to achieve 2 ohms. I try to look at Impedence, close RMS wattage rating, Xmax and sensitivity. I am on somewhat of a budget, trying to keep it under $200 per sub. How do you guys determine what a good sub is? I feel lost. Don't want to get anything that wont be at the same level or above what I have now. Is there something more to buying subwoofers than looking at RMS, impedence, Xmax and Sensitivity?
These are the few that I have looked at and am trying to narrow down, but other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
*Alpine Type-S SWS-12D4 (500 RMS, 4 ohm DVC, 86.5dB sensitivity, 15mm Xmax)
*Cerwin Vega VPRO124D (750 RMS, 4 ohm DVC, 84.6dB sensitivity, 18.2mm Xmax)
*Pioneer TS-W1200PRO (450 RMS, 4 ohm DVC, 105dB sensitivity, no XMAX rating)
BTW, my current CompVR 12's have a 89.6dB sensitivity, 400w RMS, and a .501" Xmax.
squarebodmafia 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote squarebodmafia
Sundown Audio
I would highly recommend two of these Subs.
Bowtie Til' I Die
mjshealy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mjshealy
I would like to check them out... but you sent a partial link, starts with "m. "
eli47 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2017 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eli47
I think you should change the cabinet type, as opposed to the subwoofer. You will hear and feel more difference in sound from cabinet type, and construction, than by changing subwoofer brands.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
From the three drivers you listed I would use the Alpine, if only because it would likely function best in a smaller enclosure than the other two.
Support the12volt.com
eli47 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eli47
Curious why you'd want to drive the subwofers below 4Ohms?
Is it for more power only?
Are you looking for better sound quality or are we trying to kill or maim small animals at 50 paces with bass?
Also, remember that physics play a major role here, a speaker cannot "push" more air than it has to work with, in the cabinet.Need advice on next subwoofers - Last Post -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic