the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonlipka 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
Interesting problem for you guys.
I have a Viper 5701 installed in an old vehicle (no factory security of any kind). The system has worked great with 0 problems. The vehicle has MES power door locks that I added.
I also installed an Essex AKE-5BH keypad keyless entry system. This is where I decided to get creative (with the inspiration of the12volt.com members in another thread). Because I wanted to be able to use the keypad to disarm the alarm rather than merely unlocking the door (and thereby setting off the alarm when the door opens), I scavenged the number two remote. I busted it open and soldered wires to the lock, unlock, and common traces on the circuit board. These wires run to two relays stuffed inside the door, one for lock,   The keypad then actuates said relays. So, in effect, when you lock or unlock the vehicle using the keypad, it is electrically "pressing" the lock or unlock button on the #2 transmitter. As a side note (in case it becomes relevant), I didn't want to have to change the batteries every couple of years, so I purchased a 12V->3V converter for a couple bucks and soldered the output to the battery terminals on the scavenged remote.
This whole system worked great on the bench and once installed into the vehicle. I have had no issues and felt pretty clever for a couple weeks now.
However, something stranged happen.
Last night I had the truck running (using the key in the ignition, #1 viper remote attached to it). I then touched the keypad and entered my code and... nothing. This became particularly stressful because my spare key was in the car. So there I was with my truck running in my driveway, locked out, with no way to get in or shut the vehicle off.
So after I slim jim my way in (and after putting the spare key in the garage :-) ), I shut the truck off. I thought maybe the voltage converter wires had come loose. Everything looked good.
I entered my code into the keypad, alarm disarmed. Tried several times. Everything was working fine.
Started the engine, locked the door, entered the code - nothing.
Any ideas why remote #2 won't lock/unlock while the ignition is on, but will when it is off?
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
I should add. This morning I tested the voltage at the battery leads on the remote. With the ignition on OR off, I am reading a steady 3.026V. CR2032 battery is rated at 3V, so I don't think that is the issue.
Also looked at the remote while entering lock and unlock codes on the keypad. The relays are actuating and the LED on the remote is flashing when commands are entered.
So, it seems like what is happening is the keypad is correctly issuing commands, the relays are behaving as expected, and the remote is issuing the correct commands, but the "brain" is either not receiving the commands or is doing nothing with the commands after being received. Anything come to mind?
Directed tech support's only ideas were to reprogram the remote(s), and or override the system? I don't know what that second one means. He explained something about cycling the ignition while I hold the valet button?
The remote guts still have the "antenna" attached, which amounts to a coiled wire. I was wondering if uncoiling and stretching that out might help?
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
More to add.
I did some more troubleshooting just now and I am convinced it is not a problem with the install.
First of all, I have confirmed it occurs whenever the ignition is on, regardless of if the engine is running or not.
Second, I confirmed that NEITHER viper remote works when the ignition is on. This doesn't seem right to me.
Any ideas now?
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
And even more information.
I confirmed that if the system is remote started, it still accepts commands. Thus occurs regardless of if the key is in the ignition or not. In fact, the system being remote started is so far the ONLY way I can get the viper to accept commands with the key in the run position. Weird.
Now I'm leaning towards some issue with the pink wire, which is the ignition input AND output for the system.
Any ideas?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
It is working as it is supposed to work by design. Most, if not all, alarms and keyless entries will not respond to the remote(s) if the module's ignition input wire has 12V+ (ignition on).
Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
It is working as it is supposed to work by design. Most, if not all, alarms and keyless entries will not respond to the remote(s) if the module's ignition input wire has 12V+ (ignition on).
I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree for two reasons.
Number one, how then would the system allow you to perform a "pit stop" as described in the owners manual? That requires you to press the remote start button with the ignition on. By the way, this function does work on the truck.
Second, I just got off the phone with Directed and they said all those functions should still work. I asked them specifically if they were disabled by design as some sort of safety feature and he said absolutely not. Now, I guess it is possible the Directed tech is wrong.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Remote starters, when running by remote start is a different situation. Again, every keyless entry, alarm, and alarm/remote starter I have ever installed works as I described.
Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
Remote starters, when running by remote start is a different situation. Again, every keyless entry, alarm, and alarm/remote starter I have ever installed works as I described.
I can't refute what you're saying as I have considerably less experience than you. However, I would like to continue the discussion one step further.
I will concede what you are saying about the vehicle being in remote start mode. But, when you start the truck normally and then you want to perform a pit stop, the truck is NOT in remote start mode and therfore (by your logic) will not accept commands from the remote (thereby eliminating the ability to pit stop).
Unless of course you're suggesting that the system ignores all commands EXCEPT remote start...
the12volt 
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Let me clarify. Activating a pit stop should work when the module's ignition input wire has 12V+ (ignition on) and the vehicle is already running, however when the vehicle is not running by remote start, the module should not respond to the remote for arm/disarm, lock/unlock, etc. functions when the vehicle is running normally or ignition on.
What are the particular steps you must take to activate a pit stop with your unit?
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
Let me clarify. Activating a pit stop should work when the module's ignition input wire has 12V+ (ignition on) and the vehicle is already running, however when the vehicle is not running by remote start, the module should not respond to the remote for arm/disarm, lock/unlock, etc. functions when the vehicle is running normally or ignition on.
What are the particular steps you must take to activate a pit stop with your unit?
With the truck running you can activate two ways. One, press the remote start button on the remote. When you hear all the stuff happen, you can remove the key and be on your way.
Two, there is a wire you can momentarily ground. The way the manual explains it, grounding this wire has the EXACT same effect as pushing the button on the fob.
For example, if you set your system to require two button pushes to remote start, then you must ground the wire two times as well.
In reference to the matter at hand, I have tried it both ways and the result is the same.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic