the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
After you activate a pit stop or engage a remote start, you should be able to arm/disarm and lock/unlock via remote, however if the vehicle is running normally, it should be just as I described in my first reply. Are you saying you cannot lock/unlock via remote when the vehicle is running by remote start?
Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On? - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jasonlipka 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
After you activate a pit stop or engage a remote start, you should be able to arm/disarm and lock/unlock via remote, however if the vehicle is running normally, it should be just as I described in my first reply. Are you saying you cannot lock/unlock via remote when the vehicle is running by remote start?
No, it is responding exactly as you have described, so you are likely correct.
However, you made the statement that it doesn't accept commands from the remote when receiving a 12v ignition signal and I think that is partially erroneous, as pit stop mode requires a command from the remote when the ignition is on. Really, I'm just arguing semantics at this point and for that I apologize.
Seems like it's back to the drawing board. Should probably start a new thread but can you think of any solutions to my problem?
My knee jerk response is to splice the lock/unlock wires from the keypad to the brown and violet wires on the door locks. This would unlock the door locks and (if available) disarm the alarm. In the case where the key is in the ignition and I lock myself out, it would unlock the doors but the alarm would sound upon opening (assuming it was armed).
I guess that would be a small price to pay for the convenience, especially given the unlikelihood of this scenario.
Can you think of any other (perhaps more elegant) solutions?
Magnetic hide-a-key is getting points for simplicity.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Perhaps I should have explained in greater detail in my first response, but the unit is functioning as it is supposed to function via remote when the ignition is on and not running by remote start.
Typically to disarm an alarm without the remote, you would turn the ignition on, then press a button or flip a valet switch. With your keypad set up activating a remote, you could have the same set up activate a relay to simulate pushing a button or flipping a switch (whichever your alarm requires) since the ignition will already be on if you leave the keys in the ignition in the on position.
Viper 5701 Won't Lock/Unlock w/ Engine On? - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
BTW, I would supply one side of the relay coil with 12V+ from an ignition lead so it only activates when you leave the key in the ignition in the on position.
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
Perhaps I should have explained in greater detail in my first response, but the unit is functioning as it is supposed to function via remote when the ignition is on and not running by remote start.
Typically to disarm an alarm without the remote, you would turn the ignition on, then press a button or flip a valet switch. With your keypad set up activating a remote, you could have the same set up activate a relay to simulate pushing a button or flipping a switch (whichever your alarm requires) since the ignition will already be on if you leave the keys in the ignition in the on position.
I think on my setup, the valet switch is on the control center, which includes the antenna and status led on the windshield. I don't know how I could simulate that.
the12volt 
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
If connecting to the valet switch isn't possible, you could open the ignition input to the alarm/remote start from the keypad with a relay if the ignition is on, then disarm/unlock via the keypad again.
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
If connecting to the valet switch isn't possible, you could open the ignition input to the alarm/remote start from the keypad with a relay if the ignition is on, then disarm/unlock via the keypad again.
I was on the same wavelength as you there.
I was thinking you could activate the remote start from the keypad, thereby allowing the keypad to then disarm the truck. It would only require soldering one more wire to the remote, no additional wires through the door jamb.
the12volt 
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
If you go that route, I would still use an ignition source for one side of the coil of a relay so you are not activating the remote start every time you use the keypad when the ignition is not on.
the12volt 
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
BTW, if you activate two buttons on the remote at the same time, it will not function as two separate commands. Using an ignition lead with a relay would allow you to activate one button or the other instead of both at the same time.
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jasonlipka
the12volt wrote:
BTW, if you activate two buttons on the remote at the same time, it will not function as two separate commands. Using an ignition lead with a relay would allow you to activate one button or the other instead of both at the same time.
The good news is with the keypad you can program six outputs. For example, once you enter a correct code, you can then press the 1 key to activate an aux output. If I wired it to that, the scenario of locking the keys in the tuck while running would go like this:
Enter code
Press 1 to activate remote start
Enter code again, thereby disarming alarm
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic