icon

2003 Chevy Astro Van Check Engine Light /RS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
You did not wire up the white wire for 2nd ignition. That wire has to have power also while cranking. Do not drive the vehicle after remote starting or serious transmission damage can occur. You may need to have the codes cleared with the scanner. If you damage the tranny it will not be covered by GM as they will see the remote start. When I do remote starts I power all the same wires as the ignition switch and that cures any problems.
DanDan
jeepcj92 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yes did that, still no luck.   
How long should I leave the battery disconnected for?? I Tried 20 minutes, no luck.
-Jeff
jeepcj92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok as I am further thinking about this, Everything is hooked up ok now. The Ign 2 gets power while cranking with RS.
However as far as the potential for damaging it I know for sure that I did not drive it after RS. When I Drove it to move it around in the driveway I had started it with the key, like normall.
The 3 or 4 x it was Remote Started when the IGN 2 was not hooked up the vehicle just idled for a few moments...
DanDan, I agree with you toally about duplicating the Igniton switch with the RS, this time, unfortunatley I missed the white wire, the 2 acc wires are what threw me off. Feeling pretty dumb right now.
Does anyone think that I would be able to reset the code with a code scanner from the parts store, or would it only be the dealer that could reset.?
thanks
-Jeff
joeseph0171 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
auto zone can reset it.... they did mine.. i ran into the same problems on my s-10
jeepcj92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thats good to hear Joseph....was everything ok in the long run with your truck?
thanks
-Jeff
njcartronics 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

I hooked up the RS using both IGN wires and both ACC wires in my 03 Astro. 

Get it reset at Autozone or somewhere and see.

If not, I would remove the whole thing, and button it up, and get it to the dealer and play dumb like it just happened, and there are no aftermarket items in the vehicle.

-Paul
Southern NJ
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
There are only two ways of clearing the code. The code will not clear on any OBD II vehicle (1994 and up) by disconnecting the battery. the first method is by using a scan tool. The second and doesn't always work, is by cycling the ignition key. Most GM vehicle's will turn off the Service Engine Soon light after 40 or 50 ignition cycles. Try turning the key on for about 5 seconds then turn it off for three seconds. Do this 40 or 50 times and you may get lucky. The trouble code will still be stored in the computer though, but the light should go out.
sparky
jeepcj92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
FYI, I went to autozone and used the code scanner to clear the codes. I then started it with the key and the light was out.... Then started it with RS, and the light stayed out, all is well.
Thanks for all the help.
BTW, anyone know what the brown Acc 2 wire is for? I didn't hook it up, and nothing seemed to be missing.
-Jeff
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome. Glad you were able to clear the codes without the dealer. They always make things difficult for warranty work if stuff like trhat happens.
The Brown ACC 2 wire...Probably dash guages, wipers, RAP(Retained accessory power) and stuff like that. Is the radio powered during remote start?
jeepcj92 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, radio, heat, ac, everything I can think of works with the RS.
_Jeff
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic