Best Way to Hook Up Multiple Batteries?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dragorus 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I'm done. Do it the way you want. You asked for advice and the correct way to do it, and two people have told you how, yet you insist on "a solenoid" or "an isolator". Go ahead, put the thing in, and have fun replacing your system battery every other year. I am sorry for the tone, but when somebody asks me for advice, and I give it to them, I almost expect that they might listen to it, but instead you want to keep arguing the point. Read the first paragraph again, and you will know why I am upset with your argument. And to answer your question about the pros using solenoids... They SOMETIMES (not all of them do) use solenoids because they are charging more (potentially dozens of) batteries. They are also sponsored, and they do not care about the money required to replace the system batteries. The best way to do it in a street, everyday driver car is NO SOLENOIDS! BTW, a solenoid will waste power as well, whenever the coil is energized, perhaps as much as two amps (28 watts) again... Leave all of the extraneous (power wasting) parts out... wire the batteries in parallel, and go with it. Get all of the power you paid for in that 200 amp alternator.

Isolator is def. out of the question ...but for you to question me and criticize me and you don't even know me......The Solenoid info comes from the VP of aamp of america / Stinger who so happens to be based here by my store in Florida....Boomer Mcloud.....So i guess he wins....Thanks to all for all your knowledge......

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I'm not done. I never questioned you. You questioned me. I never criticized you. If anything, you criticized me by asking for advice then refusing to heed that advice and further questioning it. You asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, (and I was not the oly person to answer this question the same way) but you didn't think it was good enough. That is all I said.
Hmmm. VP of a major electronics vendor. What do electronics vendors have to do to stay in business? (Which it what it needs to do if he wants to get paid) That's right, SELL ELECTRONICS! I realize that your one little solenoid purchase is not going to make or break AAMP/Stinger, but if NOBODY listened to him, THAT would make or break AAMP/Stinger, wouldn't it? This is exactly what the guy is trying to do. Just because he is VP of a company, it does not mean absolutely that he knows what he is talking about. VP's are bought and sold EVERY DAY in this country, (a VP is just a figurehead, ususlly) and unless he started out designing and building these components and WORKED his way INTO a Vice Presidency, I would not take his word as gospel. I bought an Alpine alarm and it was the worst thing I ever did. I bought it from a store that sold Clifford and Alpine, because that is where I went. I asked my friends what they thought, and they said "Get a Clifford", but I didn't listen to them, I listened to the guy that was selling the thing that he wanted to sell - the "Pro". (BTW, I now have a Clifford, and I would never trade it for another brand of alarm) I think you are confusing advice with sales pitch.
Now I am done.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I guess I'm not done. I never questioned you. You questioned me. I never criticized you. If anything, you criticized me by asking for advice then refusing to heed that advice and further questioning it. You asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, (and I was not the oly person to answer this question the same way) but you didn't think it was good enough. That is all I said.
Hmmm. VP of a major electronics vendor. What do electronics vendors have to do to stay in business? (Which it what it needs to do if he wants to get paid) That's right, SELL ELECTRONICS! I realize that your one little solenoid purchase is not going to make or break AAMP/Stinger, but if NOBODY listened to him, THAT would make or break AAMP/Stinger, wouldn't it? This is exactly what the guy is trying to do. Just because he is VP of a company, it does not mean absolutely that he knows what he is talking about. VP's are bought and sold EVERY DAY in this country, (a VP is just a figurehead, ususlly) and unless he started out designing and building these components and WORKED his way INTO a Vice Presidency, I would not take his word as gospel. I bought an Alpine alarm and it was the worst thing I ever did. I bought it from a store that sold Clifford and Alpine, because that is where I went. I asked my friends what they thought, and they said "Get a Clifford", but I didn't listen to them, I listened to the guy that was selling the thing that he wanted to sell - the "Pro". (BTW, I now have a Clifford, and I would never trade it for another brand of alarm) I think you are confusing advice with sales pitch.
Now I am done.

I agree. Of course AAMP/Stinger is going to want you to use an isolator or solenoid. They sell them!!!

bucktussa 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

PREACH ON BROTHA CLEATUS!!!!!!!

Anyway, just to add a lil somethin somethin',  I put 2 batts in my old continental wired parallel and it worked like a charm.  You right, u right.

- 97 Honda Prelude SH
- 3 CVR 10's on Power 1000bd
- Kicker K series components
- Sony 4ch Highs Amp
- Pioneer Premier Deck
- Delphi XM Reciever
- Sony 10 disk changer
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

I guess because car audio people don't know a whole lot about electricity...or cars..

If it looks cool then it must be right! 

Everything in there makes perfect sense to me...I don't think he mentioned solenoids having anykind of voltage drop....although it could potentially be a resistance connection.

If two batteries won't keep your system alive without the motor running, then you need to start the engine....plain and simple.

$uperflame$ 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
know whats worse then one bead battery , TWO DEAD BATTERS AND BEING STUCK! i know . think about it... isolators are real cheep at auto zone ,i got an 100amp one for 25$ , and if they dont have one they can order the 200amp ones, if your running more watts then your alternator putts out at idle your going to wear out your batterys/ drain and two batterys take twice as long to charge  then one, i learn the hard way ,dont for get to bring your jumper cables if you just hook both of them together =\
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst,
Your input on this topic is much appreciated. I've learn something interesting. Thanks.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Best Way to Hook Up Multiple Batteries? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

haemphyst wrote:

Well seing as I do great business with them and we have over 30 stores in our franchise then you gotta go with stinger advice.....After all we do build "some" of the best systems in the world...

Now I am done.

I agree. Of course AAMP/Stinger is going to want you to use an isolator or solenoid. They sell them!!!

DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
thepencil wrote:
haemphyst,
Your input on this topic is much appreciated. I've learn something interesting. Thanks.
I Agree!
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

DjRDifacs wrote:
thepencil wrote:
haemphyst,
I Agree!

I third that!....................

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic