icon

Craig car stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I think that how you spell it, what happen to this company, still around, someone buy them out. reason im asking this was the first radio i ever put in, 15 years ago. How well was this company. Dont remember anythng about this company.
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't heard of one of those in a long time. My dad had a Craig PowerPlay FM/8-track monster that mounted on the transmission hump, back in the 70's. I searched on Google and couldn't quickly find anything about what happened to the company.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
craig is still around from what I know, i had a guy come in with a tape deck not long ago,    it ate his wille nelson tape...removed the tape and he was happy to be on his way..I tried to offer him a cd player for his big ol' truck but he responded by saying "now what would i do with that?" hmmmmmm i wonder?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
I did a search and nothing, but how well was this company.
Any one know.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

Craig folded in the mid to late 80's if i remember correctly ( might be very early 90's)   we did lots of them in their day.... Craig Power Play and a set of Bass48's  or MindBlower 6x9's and you had yourself a rocking system.....

we made more money selling the replacement sliding brackets than we did selling the head units, as everyone seemed to be stealing each others units back then.... you'd sell 5 sliding brackets for every 1 stereo....   lol

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
I had a hu long ago and remember it being a pos!
Kingfisher 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Craig is still around.  I had some of their stuff back when I was in school and poor.  It was cheap equipment but worked well for what I needed.  They used to even sell it at the big retail places like Best Buy and Circuit CIty.  Looks like they've gotten out of the car audio market completely and moved to things like portable cd players and things of that nature.

http://www.craigelectronics.com/

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
actually the company folded and the name itself was bought, just like Jensen, CCM, etc. etc.
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

I had a Craig cassette deck in my 2nd car, with broken off knobs. Carried around a needle nose pliers to change volume and stations. I never had any problems with it, but it wasn't great. I remember that CarQuest auto parts used to sell them right beside the Audiovox's, for what that's worth.

One of my buddies had one in his car when I was like 15, and had 24 or 26 speakers wired to the deck, all in parallel I imagine, 'cause each time he found a speaker he'd just twist it on. He had that poor thing like that for months, untill he wrecked the car. Can you imagine - a 1/8 ohm load (or lower) per channel on a cheap headunit amp that was probably cranked wide open into clipping every time it was on? BTW - it wasn't loud and it didn't sound good lol. 

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
My first car stereo was a Craig. Paid $69 for it. It was a cassette player and it didn't even have auto reverse. I had 2 Jensen Tri-axles 6x9", 2 Pioneeer 5 1/4", 2 Pioneer 4" all hooked up in parallel. That system rocked in my Firebird. Sounded incredibly good. I always got compliments. Most people would say that it was the best system that they had ever heard. I don't know if it was the accoustics of the Firebird or the setup or both. I have to admit it sounded great, even with today's standards.
LivnLouder by the paycheck
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic