Viper 791XV remote start, auto headlight

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Derekc 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

JWorm:

First of all, my installer didn't tie the door trigger wire from alarm to the domelight. I ran the four wires from each door and dioded them for him. He didn't connect the dome supervision either.

Last nite I tried to duplicate the problem and I observed that, after turning off and pulled the key, I simply sat inside without opening the door, in 30 secs, it ARMED. I was so puzzled. Then I spent some time reading the manual and here is the clue:

============================================

1-9: Automatic Engine Disable (AED) on/off: AED is a full-time, passive starter disable that works indenpently of the security system. When turned on, the orange, ground-when-armed output (H1/1) will activate 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. The LED will flash at half it normal rate when the ignition is turned off to indicate hat AED is active and will interrupt the starter in 30 seconds. AED does not occur in Valet mode and can be bypassed using the energency override procedure. The transmitter can be used tto disarm AED, however, the system must be armed and then disarmed, using the transmitter to disarm AED.
============================================

And it is ENABLED BY DEFAULT! So I turned it off to see what it does. Voila! It doesn't start count down until I open the door! That fixed my "wife runs out while I wait in car" problem!

But I am still puzzled what this feature does and why it is enabled by default and how many installer don't even bother turning it off and how many customers out there are bothered by these so-called feature!

When at least one problem is resolved and I stil have question about the remote start with auto-headlight problem. JWorm, you mentioned to use the factory rearm wire to pulse the door trigger wire to the ECU so that when the remote start is timed-out (or when I shut it off), it will simulate a door open+close so that the headlight will start counting down to shutoff. And you explained that the viper software (even the car is armed) will ignore the door trigger during the remote start shutdown (Can someone else please double-confirm this as I can't find this described in the manual??). 

Well, before I invest an hour or so to do this modification, I have one more question.
We are rearming the factory alarm and that does lock the doors and enable the factory alarm and at the same time, we pulse the door wire (diode somewhere ?) so that the ECU thinks a door is opened. Won't that trigger the factory alarm as this would be considered a forceful entry (doors all locked and door open sensed)?

I wonder how many cars out there with auto-headlights and this Viper alarm with remote start (or any remote start) have this problem of headlights not turning off after remote start shutdown ? Isn't that a design problem?? There should many cars out there that have auto-headlights nowadays.  I did search and search and it seems I am the only one.

I can't accept keeping the headlight switch in off as a solution from a consumer point of view. DEI, are you reading this? Will the next version of Viper remote start alarm be improved?? Or can the viper 791XV software (firmware) be upgraded?? And if I have you reading this, can you please explain what the AED is for and why it is turned on by default?

And I still have the problem of the ignition-controlled unlock ON sometimes unlocks driver door and sometimes unlock all doors but I will narrow down why when I have time.

Thanks for your time.

dc
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

trust me.... DEI executives are not reading this.... lol

they have more important things to do than troll thru  forums like this....

and actually it was me that suggested you just pulse the door pin wire replicating opening the door, similar to shutting down a RAP circuit.... so JWorm telling you the same thing should constitute your second opinion...

have you checked your owners manual or called your dealer? many perimiter lighting circuits are programmable in how they work ( on time, on/off, etc )

lastly... i am looking at the install manual in front of me and feature 1-9 AED the default is off, not on

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Derekc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Kgerry:

What is RAP circuit?

I don't think my 2000 GS300 auto-headlights is programmable to allow skipping of waiting for the door to open+close. But do you think, Kgerry, that activiating factory rearm wire and door trigger will work without setting the factory alarm off?

I am looking at the Viper 791XV manual. The default for the Automatic Engine Disable (AED) is ON (one chirp).  Different manual versions maybe Viper 791XV remote start, auto headlight - Page 2 -- posted image..

I hope JWorm can have time to reply my last posting. Or anyone's comment is welcome.

dc
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Jworms idea of using a relay off of the GWA (org wire) results in a constantly energized relay which means-------you still have a dead battery.
Kgerry is absolutely correct by using factory arm wire on the door trigger. I had to do this on my Odyssey after installing a RAP circuit. Cheers----Mel
Someone pass me that bottle.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
AED comes from the factory programmed to off. Double check the manual and you will see what KGeryry and I mean. factory settings are in BOLD, not the left column. I always leave it off for customers....most of them wouldn't understand it if I left it on. Knowing that the 4 true door pin wires were used originally would have made the problem here more obvious.
AED is meant to make the vehicle more secure by requiring you to disarm everytime before starting. Even if you shut the vehicle off and run into the convenience store for a minute. Might be useful in high crime areas, but certainly not where I live.
The auto-headlight feature is not an issue that DEI created. The OEM's not shutting off the headlights after a certain amount of time is the problem. I know Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infinity vehicles are both effected by this problem. Probably some other companies too. If the installer knows what he is doing, the problem is easily worked around.
I don't recall ever saying to use the GWA wire to trigger the relay to pulse the dor trigger. I said Rearm wire.
You would have to split the rearm wire with diodes if you are using it to pulse the lock wire to rearm the alarm. Or you could just not have it rearm the factory alarm....but I'm sure that wouldn't be acceptable to you.
Did I miss any questions?
Derekc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

JWorm wrote:
You would have to split the rearm wire with diodes if you are using it to pulse the lock wire to rearm the alarm. Or you could just not have it rearm the factory alarm....but I'm sure that wouldn't be acceptable to you.
Did I miss any questions?

KJorm:

I know I am the anal type. I know most installers don't like customers like me knowing more than just how to use the buttons.

Here is the page 64 of the 791XV installation manual:Viper 791XV remote start, auto headlight - Page 2 -- posted image.

I am seeing feature 1-9 AED is defaulted to ON. Maybe you have different manuals but this is the one that came with my two viper 791XVs. 

Well, that means if installers leave it as default, customers will experience the "wife runs out while I wait in car" problem.

Thanks for the suggested solution for my remote start + auto headlights problem. Even I still have a bit of concern about pulsing the door trigger from the factory rearm wire (when remote start shuts down) that would or would not trigger the armed viper or factory alarm, no doubt this would be the best solution and I will give it a try.

Sorry for being such a pain and I do really appreciate your expertise.

dc
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
I am staring at an electronic version of the manual. Option 1-9 has "Automatic Engine Disable" in bold. I have used the bitwriter on hundreds of DEI alarms in my years of installing and never has AED been enable by default. Looking at your photocopied version, you can't even tell that the word "Bold" is in bold.
I wish more customers understood alarms more like you. Then they might understand that the $149 alarm special at the hack shop down the street is basically pointless if they are trying to prevent someone from steeling something in there car.   Your car is actually a fun car to work on for me because its actually a little challenging.
""   Even I still have a bit of concern about pulsing the door trigger from the factory rearm wire (when remote start shuts down) that would or would not trigger the armed viper or factory alarm, no doubt this would be the best solution and I will give it a try.   ""
The factory alarm is not armed while the vehicle is remote started, so it can't be triggered when it shuts down and receives the rearm pulse from the Viper.
Whether or not the factory alarm will arm if it receives a pulse on the lock wire and a door trigger wire at the same time I'm not so sure about. Try this....open only the drivers door and lock the vehicle with the key. Close the door a second later. Does it arm the factory alarm (indicated by the factory security light)? If it does, you have nothing to worry about.
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
My bad-------I meant for that to be towards sroth140. Yes the factory rearm is correct as you stated. Cheers.
Someone pass me that bottle.
Derekc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

AED stands for  "Automatic Engine Disable". It is a feature that will kill the starter (and in this case, it seems to arm the car also) 30 sec after key is no longer in ON position without the need to open+close the door. When "Automatic Engine Disable" is ON (BOLD by default), this feature is ENABLED.

I don't think I am confused about the words "Disable" in  "Automatic Engine Disable" and the word ON or ENABLED (of the feature). Or am I the only one who got this confused??
JWorm, if Option 1-9  "Automatic Engine Disable" in BOLD, as in my printed manual page shown above, that means it is ENABLED and having that enabled will create the "wife runs out while I wait in car" problem. And I had to program it to two-chirps (not one chirp, which is the default , in bold) to disable it.

Oh well, I am not in this industry and really don't care. I was just amazed that DEI can have this ill feature enabled by default and keep shipping them that way and no customer complaints about it and installers don't even notice it.

** For ill, I meant, it A.) doesn't only kill the starter but it also arms the alarm without open+closing the door and B.) enabling this feature creates that "wife runs out while I wait in car" problem.

dc
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic