icon

Flip down tv

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Legrones 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hello there looking to get some info on flip down installs looking to put a 10 inch flip down in my 1994 cadillac and i have been told to use the 1/4 inch mdf on top of the head liner move but i just dont see the head liner holding the tv up so if there is some treaks to know about about doing the job to hold up from pulling it down for a long time i would love to know them ? ...cory
Dale / Cory
ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
you glue the mdf to the roof (metal)of the car, then screw the flip down into the mdf.
Legrones 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

what is the best glue to use or do u use like black or yellow hot glue i heard u dont glue to the metal of the roof metal i might show through the paint ?

Dale / Cory
ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
never heard of that, but thats just me. you can use a stong glue like liquid nails. if you can get a clamp on it, you can use gorilla glue.
Legrones 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
ok with some strong glues (gorilla glue) saw it in home depo is that a supper strong glue to use that will never let go ?.....................that u use in your installs ?
Dale / Cory
rob_fed 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Legrones wrote:
ok with some strong glues (gorilla glue) saw it in home depo is that a supper strong glue to use that will never let go ?.....................that u use in your installs ?

As ODleon indicated, Gorillia glue is strong, you will never get the MDF off of the roof again without bending the metal.  Gorilla glue is a poly urethane glue, it must be clamped or the MDF must be held up to the roof under pressure.  Use a stick or long piece of PVC to hold up while the glue dries.

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
whats your trick when they have a sunroof? what do you glue the mdf to?
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
i take down the headliner,well at least drop the front,i have some buddies that build airplanes,so i get 1*3/4 i beams,bend to fit,attach on both sides,just space them to fit the holes on the monitor.. i give people the option, usually there is enough factory metal there that supports the rear of the hole for the sunroof.. most people dont want to spend an extra 500-600 bucks for another half day of labor for the beams(i have had 2(out of say 100 people do it though!)
but i do a pull-up on it b4 i mount to it(I beams,or no sunroofs,not factory sunroof stuff,but give it a good pull..
I guess i have to say ultimately it may take a little trial and error..just cut the hole right,and take your time..i have never heard of gluing to the roof!! ,but i've only been doing this for 18 years,so..
if glue is your route,i would suggest epoxy(5 min is plenty strong enough! you aren't holding up a midget or anything)..it is at least feasible to hold your mount by hand,but a stick or pvc would work best..i never put glue in such a position of trust,i would always screw to something,then glue as a anti-vibration thing,but never as primary structural support,the combination is usually stronger than the sum of the parts...(well i say never,but as we know sometimes things are unavoidable..but SURELY not unavoidable on a roof!mainly for safety's sake..)
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

on most vehicles i cut the mdf to fit between 2 of the roof braces.....slide the mdf over the lips of both braces and use SMALL self tapping screws to hold it in place...and there it is...

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
Legrones 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
so what do u do on a car with no braces like my 94 cadillac ?
Dale / Cory
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic