icon

Opportunity knocking or sign from hell?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Kidtransam.............your very fortunate to come into this opperatunity. I do envy you in that aspect. I have to strongly agree with everyone about doing as much homework as possible. If I were in your shoes , I would look at what would seperate you from the Big Boxes (Circuit City and Best Buy) and focus on Friendy , experienced ,customer satisfaction.  Ask yourself if you were the paying customer , why should you go to this new shop vrs. Circuit City? Im sure your not going to be able to beat thier prices so your going to have to make up the difference in customer service and custom installs that they dont or cant do at the big box's. Me as a customer when I go to the privately owned independant car audio shops , I like to see lots of variety. Somthing to fit everyones budget , weather its Jr.s McDonalds money or the 6 figure income white collar money , everyone goes home happy and gets what they want. I wish you the best of luck and Keep us updated.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

For what its worth, as a business owner (not stereo related), but customer service is all based on three major areas:

1 - Service Standards - Being the "Best of the Best" requires going above and beyond clients expectations. Business growth and/or decline is a direct result of customer satisfaction. Your best advertising tool is "word of mouth", but it could also be your worst enemy if job not done to expectations! With our business community becoming more crowded every year, this only increases our challenge to stay on top, as it brings customer expectations higher and higher. Make sure you can deliver on your commitments on time.

2 - Location - Does the area have sufficient population/demand to sustain an adequate volume of customers. Additionally where you locate store front needs to have good visibility (Avoid hard to find locations, rent may be cheaper, but it will cost more in the end!).

3 - Product - Selling a good product at a reasonable price, having a reputation as the "cheapest place in town" is not always a good thing. It would not be adventagious to compete against the "National Brand" stores on their playing field, so raise the bar a few notches. Know the economics of your area to get a better idea.

Owning your own business is very gratifying, but requires alot of work and effort to be successful at it. If your heart is there, you are willing to work 8 days a week, and have done your research than you are ready to do what makes you happy. I wish you great success whichever road you choose, just be as knowledgable as possible.

Partners -  This subject has its +/-. A partner could help you in times of need, or could hinder you to the point of need!

kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx for all the info guys..as for experience...my only real experience is installing..i sold some when the bay was slow..but not enough to count...1 of my partners now...can sell a snorkle to a fish..hes a great `people person`. But neither of us knows squat about the business side of it. There are definately 2 of us and a 3rd probable that would be running it. Im not looking for a quick money maker...or to open a shop and pay 8 bux an hour to a half ass installer..this would be run like it is now..us and only us for a long while.
I just dont know if I have the balls to step out and do it. Its a huge step.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Few more questions for you business guys. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute..what steps would you take..and is it possible to get started w/o having that crap car load of cash sittn in the bank....(cause frankly...its not there lol). Should i just sit on my hands and wait or grow sum nuts and get out there?
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I already told you. See the SBA materials.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic