icon

trim plug removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clemsondave 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

I know there are tools that I can order, but I just need to remove a handfull of those pesky plugs in a paint sensitive area.  Ya'll know of any tricks using everyday tools/items?

Thanks

kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Im not really sure what plugs youre talkn about ...but if its like the screw covers like on door panels or dash panels..then just use a big serrated knife lol j/k. This may sound funny..but i had a lincoln ls..brand spankn new and i was lookn at that screw cover on the door panel and just shakn my head lol...so i took a nail file (with the rounded point) and a small piece of t-shirt material (just plain ol cotton) and pulled it over the file..and was just careful. Worked fine..i just went slow.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I am talking about those plug things they use instead of screws.  They are everywhere.  They look like plastic screws, but the threads do not screw out.  You just push them in.
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

just pull them straight out.   get it started with you fingers of a standard screw driver then grab em carefull with some pliers and pull straight out.  If you remove them a dozen times they become usless but if they are removed and replace once or twice they'll just push back in and hold no problem.

now that I think about it..... some kind of "fork" type device should work well.  Just get it started, then put the "fork" under the face / in between the thread part, and pull it out.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Panel Popper Tool...
trim plug removal -- posted image.
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
NO NO NO NO! LOL, I know what ur talking about and ya need a pick tool. preferably a 90 angle pick. u pick the little center piece outta the middle then the rest just comes straight out. when u go to put it back u do the exact opposite. put the big part in with the center sticking out then push the center in to lock it. If you happen to break one they cost about $3-4 bucks each to replace. good luck and peace...
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks to all, those things are hard to describe, guess I should have taken a picture.

NowYaKnow showed what I need, I was just hoping there was another way.  I am all for buying new tools, but I need a quick fix, not mail order tools.

Lathan, I know what you are talking about, I do not have those.

dave

NowYaKnow 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
"I am all for buying new tools, but I need a quick fix, not mail order tools."
The tool above (not snap-on) can be bought at Advance Auto Parts stores for $5.
Mike
NowYaKnow 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
"NO NO NO NO! LOL, I know what ur talking about and ya need a pick tool. preferably a 90 angle pick. u pick the little center piece outta the middle then the rest just comes straight out"
By the way on those types of clips, your supposed to PUSH the center in to remove the clip, not pry it out.. I'm referring to the ones that the center has no head and is flush inside the clip. The type that have a head on them obviously need to be pryed out, with the tool above..
Mike
clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks, I went and got one.

dave

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic