icon

amp install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silverado94 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction . i'm getting ready to install a 500 watt jensen amp in my 2001 chevy blazer and i need to find out where to hook up direct power to run my amp . i was told direct to the battery or the extra stud on the alternator . also what size power and ground cables do i use . i'm looking at 4 ga wire at 12ft since it'll be in the rear of the truck . so can someone shed some light on this install before i start working on it .
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Go from the pos on the battery, 4 guage should be plenty.

Be sure to fuse the line close to the battery,I usually drill through the firewall to get to the rear,though some go through the door jam,be very carefull though as the door may pinch the wire.\

Also run rcas on the opposite side of youre power to avoid noise in system.

astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.bcae1.com/Someone posted this link b4 and i found it VERY helpfull!

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

please don't run the wire through the door jam, i can't believe that someone would actually give you advice on doing that, "but be careful", NO, DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!  run your wire through the firewall with a grommet.  if your car is an automatic run it through the clutch knock out since it's not being used, if its a standard find an open spot and drill with caution.  but always, always use a grommet to protect the wire from the sharp edges of the firewall.  it's nothing nice when your power wire welds itself to your firewall.  oh yeah, and fuse it within 16" of the battery

what!?!?! you want some??
silverado94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
oh i know how to run wire through the firewall . ive did a few install's and have watched 2-way radio shop tech's run cable in cop car's . the fuse for the power is closer to the battery and bolted down . it'll be a nice clean well run wire and be inside a loom and tied off . but thanks for the advice and help . this should be a nice clean install  
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

Use the 4 gauge so you will have relatively good headroom incase you get a case of CAUA (Car Audio Upgrade Addiction).  CAUA is a real addiction and very serious.  It can be dangerous to your life savings and your personal relationships.  There is no cure, and the only known treatment is a upgrade or customization to the victims automobile, but the joy will be short lived as the victim is always searching for the next upgrade.

So use the 4 gauge.  I would not recommend the door jam technique, use the firewall.  Look for soft rubber inserts in the firewall, if your lucky enough to have them, find one that will not interfere with anything inside or outside of the car and drill a hole of appropriate size in the rubber.  Then push it through, the rubber should be slightly smaller then the wire for a tight fit.  Be sure and use a good ground point.  I recommend going to Wal-Mart and getting a wiring kit, very cheap for all the stuff you get and will do just fine, id bet.

What model Jensen is it?

Send pictures of your install, most of us like to see others work and may be able to give you pointers.  Start new questions in a separate thread.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with going to wal mart for ur wiring kit..the 4 ga scoche kit they sell is not bad at all..it comes with 14 feet of 4 ga and also comes with  a distro block in case u ever want to run another amp for ur highs or whatever...that will run you $25.95...i paid $45 for my db link wiring kit and it doesnt even come with the distro block. That would be the best place bet for you.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
silverado94 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
i'm going post this model number of this amp . can someone tell me if it'a 250 watt or 500 watt unit . it stamped on top of the cover 500 watt ...brigeable 2 ch mosfet power . model XA-2250  . i looked it up in a seach engine and it stated 250 watts
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Jensen XA-2250 is a bridgable stereo amp optimistically rated at 125 watts per channel into 4 ohms and (here's where the truth starts to intrude) 175 watts per channel into 2 ohms.  Hmm, somehow the math doesn't seem to work... in any case, the PEAK power rating is stated as 500 watts into a 4-ohm bridged load... which might be sustainable for more than .5 seconds with a liberal sprinkling of Magiconium pixie dust and an incantation of "Ooohmmmm" while swinging a dead cat over your head in a cemetary at midnight.  But your install plans seem sound.
Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
well realistically its more like 100watts at best
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic