icon

Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
I just ordered that amp myself, to run my 2 12" orions for now, but come spring time when I get some money Im planning on getting 2 shivas, and building a ported box. So let me know how everything sounds when you get it hooked up. What kind of car do you have?
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

The trick to making that amp perform best is to buy a pair or RCA splitters and an F-mod since I assume you're going to put it in a ported box. The only downfall of the JBL is it lacks a SSF..the F-mod will fix that problem.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

Klapping wrote:
ok, i ordered the JBL refurbished amp... it was 171.50 with shipping and everything... i will order 2 shivas prolly tomarow or sumthing... if you think i should get a different sub, please post... before i buy...

The sub is great.  Just be sure to put it in the right enclosure.  The wrong enclosure will make any subwoofer sound like complete and total ass.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
i am plugging the port on my slot ported box... it will be relatively close to the enclosure recommended on shivas site... like an inch or so off maybe... nothing big...
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

What are you plugging it with?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
a board across the front... a strip of plywood... and i am using this tape, its like foam tape... so it seals everything perfect... a few screws in, and bam... all good...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
OK, Klapping, after you get your Shivas and seal up your "box" with a piece of plywood and get your new amp and hook it all up and listen and think to yourself, "Man, this doesn't "hit" any harder than my Sonys!" then maybe you will finally listen to all of us who told you through two long threads to get a new enclosure built for your new woofers.  Write back when you have it all installed and let us know how it goes.
Support the12volt.com
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
dude... it's perfect size for the shivas... it has the dimensions on the second page of this thread... that sumone posted... and it is almost Exact to what my box is... all but 1/2 an inch on both sides... that is it...
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

A key to being successful in car audio is being open minded and willing to listen...no offense, but you have been fairly stubborn throughout these 5 pages of threads..Use your box and tell us how it sounds after you install it like Dyohn said. I'm willing to bet it wont do to well..I've never thought plugging a ported box was a good idea.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
here... i did sum calculations... and sum measuring... =)
here is what i came up with...
THIS is from the Shiva site... A Recommendation...
QTY SIZE USE
2 13.5” x 13.5” Front and back panels
2 13.5” x 12” Top and bottom panels
2 12” x 12” Side panels
THIS is MY box specs...
2 15.75" x 12" front and back panels
2 13" x 15.75" top and bottom panels
2 13" x 12" side panels
ok, those were the specs... WITHOUT the 4 port walls in the middle... If i plugged the first port wall, inside the subwoofer chamber, then it would make these specs...
2 11.5" x 12" front and back panels
2 11.5" x 13" top and bottom panels
2 13" x 12" side panels
ok so now we are above and below the recommended box specifications... now, look at this...
these are the specs if i rip the first port wall off, in each chamber...
2 14" x 12" front and back panels
2 14" x 13" top and bottom panels
2 13" x 12" side panels
alright... and the recommended box specs are once again...
QTY SIZE USE
2 13.5” x 13.5” Front and back panels
2 13.5” x 12” Top and bottom panels
2 12” x 12” Side panels
now, you see... there is barely a difference in those two... a half inch here... and an inch there... i seriously dont think an inch will make 2 subs literally turn from excellent... to crap...
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic