icon

Dimensions for Two 12 Adire Audio Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Ok just for confirmation, these are the cuts i need to make, correct?
2 - 14 x 27 (front and back panels)
2 - 12 x 27 (top and bottom panels)
2 - 12 x 14 (sides)
1 - 10.5 x 12.5 (mid divide)
And ya... 1.25? wouldnt it be 1.5 off on the middle brace? that is what i meant by taking off .75 off of each side of the middle board... riiight?
and what does "dont go into the shop do and do these cuts" mean? ... confused...
and please, correct me if i am wrong, in a ncie manner... thnx.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
yes... go build your box. Draw the lines on your material... measure twice, cut once. Your numbers ARE CORRECT... Use them. DO NOT WRITE OR READ ANY MORE POSTS... JUST GO BUILD YOUR BOX! Do not thank me or anybody else, do not question, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars - unless it is to go build your box. GET!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i went to home depot... a 4 x 8 piece of mdf .75 costs 20 bucks... i then realized it wasnt gunna fit in my car... (i had 25 bucks on me) ... and ya, first 2 cuts are free... the rest from there on are 50 cents... a cut is, a whole board... by the way... but ya, i got the guy to cut it all... and it ended up costing 24.75... i got him to take it down to only 4 cuts. then... when i bought it i was like arent the first 2 free? ... and she was like o0o ok... so ya, got it barely... lol... but ya... brought it all home... (i still have like a fat piece left over...) but ya, tried to assemble it free hand... and realized i needed 1.75 off of one board... (because the guy cut it to 12.25 instead of 12.) but ya, so i needed to drop the top and bottom board, 1.50 inches... so they would fit inside of the top and bottom of the front and back panels... but ya, just finished trimming... and it fits snug as hell... but ya, what should i do to cut the 2 11" holes? ... and inform me if i am wrong, the holes are supposed to be 11 inches, right? and ya, i figure... find the exact middle of each half of the front panel... and stick a thumb tack a lil ways in, and get a 5.5 inch string, and attach it to the thumb tack, along with a pen on the end of the string... run it around in a circle, and thats where i need to cut, i think? ... and... what would i be able to cut the circle out with? any suggestions on a tool...? i have a sawzaw (sp) would that be the best for it? i am not sure... and i have limited cutting tools... help?
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

A jig saw should be sufficient.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

the only jigsaw i have has a broken metal plate on the bottom...

do the cutes have to be nice and smooth for the circles? ... or can it be kinda messy, but still work just as efficient? ... because if i used a skillsaw... it wouldnt be really really acurate and that smooth of a cut, but it will be relatively close... would that work?

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
just an idea klapping
before you cut your circles, find the center of each half the the box, by first dividing the box with a ruler/pen
into 2 squares, make and X in each box from corner to corner, as precise as possible, your tac idea should work, just make sure you measure that diameter later and triple check to make sure you arent off in any area of the circle.
once thats ready, i think your ready to drill your first hole, a hole big enough for the jigsaw blade, and then make your cut, a suggestion would be cut 'inside' of the circle, and later sand off the needed excess wood. just try not to go outside of the lines.
GL im glad you started it yourself. and are attempting it. you'll feel something warm inside when its all done and working right, some people call it pride, some people call it an addiction. either way you'll feel something good :-).
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
lol... but, would a SkillSaw work?
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
i'll take the joke ;p, and not answer your question. i guess you wont have a co-op, and i cant tell you if home depot will rent tools out to you. i'd start asking your dad if he can help with tools from some of his friends. an afternoon would all it take for a couple holes (at most).
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

If I remember correctly, a Skilsaw is a jigsaw.  So yes it will work.  And I make holes that way, too, using a nail and a measured length of twine tied to my pencil.  Smaller holes, I use a compass.  The edges don't have to be pretty....the speaker will make it look pretty once it's in place.  Just be sure to leave enough wood for the screws to grab.  And use speaker sealant caulk around the rim of the speaker for a good seal.  You could also use plumber's putty as it stays pliable and can be removed later.

Hint:  make a test hole on a spare piece of lumber, anything you can get your hands on (but not the extra leaf from Mother's dining room table!).

Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
o0o oops... didnt mean skillsaw... rofl... ha... but i meant a SawZall... lol... ha... a skillsaw... that wouldnt be too pretty...
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic