icon

Need help finding Kraco wiring diag.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GrimJack 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
I am a cheapskate! The first brand new car I bought did not have a radio in it. I bought a cheap cassette H.U. made by Kraco, a cheap equalizer, some speakers and a lot of wire (I think I paid a total of US$75.00). A friend installed it for me for free. After 15 years of passable sound, my Kraco hu finally died and my wife gave me a new cd HU for Christmas. The whole installation is kluged but workable. I need to find the color coding for the Kraco so that I can just slip the new unit in. I will just clip the old plug off the Kraco and attach it to the wiring harness of the new unit, if I can.
I am pretty sure that I will have more questions but
Thanks for any help/support.
GrimJack
ps I am sure that my setup will abuse the sensibilities of any audiophiles but it suffices for me.
pps I hope to keep the car running for at least a couple more years but in order to justify my buying a brand new car, I had to promise me that I would keep it for at least 15 years -- I bought it in 1988, heh,heh
GrimJack 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I just talked to a guy at CarToys(Seattle) and he says that the Kraco was a common ground device and my new HU just won't interface with that. He says that for @$100 he can install my new radio, clean up the wiring rats nest behind the dash, and make it look pretty sharp - does that sound like a good price? Is there anyone from Seattle area on this forum interested in this kind of project?
GrimJack
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'd say $100 is fair.  If it is a common ground system, then all you'd need to do is run new speaker wire out from the new head unit to the speakers.  You can get your power, accessory, and ground from the old harness.  Basically, connect the yellow, red, and black wires from the old harness to the same color wires on the new harness.  From there all you need are the speakers.  White wires are left front, Grey are right front, green are left rear, and purple are right rear.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic