Relay Wiring, Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2000 Jeep Chero 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Greetings!

I think I've seen this dual relay set-up diagramed out here before.  Basically, I want to have a pari of Hella FF50's as my driving lights on whenever my Main HID's are on (4 lights total) AND have a 2nd pair of Hella's as my high beams. I want the "Hella Driving Pair" to go off when the "Hella High-Beam Pair" are used. I've seen a couple of diagrams here before. Any EASY ideas? Here's the set-up again:

NOW, my HID's are triggered by my parking lights through an upgraded harness and getting power directly from my battery. The Hella FF50's that WILL BE my "driving lights" will (I'm assuming) ALSO be triggered by parking light wire through another relay so that they are on WITH my HID's WHENEVER my parking lights are on. I realize that I can put a switch between the connections and the parking light wire IF I ever want parking lights only - but I'm fine with having the 4 lights on WITH my parking lights. All or nothing = OK.

THEN, the 2nd set of HELLA FF50's WOULD be my "High Beams" and be triggered by my OEM Harness High Beam lead along with the Hella supplied relay - again I'm assuming.

Can anyone draw out a detailed SPECIFIC relay wiring diagram to help me achieve this?
THANKS ... in advance!
Rick

Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

I think I'm understanding what you want, the diagram below has the HID's and the driving light FF50's on at the same time, with the parking light lead. Then when the hi beams are activated thru the OEM harness, the Hi Beam FF50's will come on and the driving light FF50's will go out, but the HID lights will still be on.

Is that how you want it to be? If not, we can change this schematic.

Relay Wiring, Lights -- posted image.

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, that's absolutely PERFECT:  HID's AND Driving FF50's on with parking light trigger and High Beam FF50's by OEM harness High Beam Trigger while cutting the Driving FF50's.  Nice job on the diagram!

Now, are they SPST, DPDT ... The last relay I used did NOT have the center 87A lug.

Thanks!

Rick

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

What specific relays should I get?  The look like SPDT - and 30amp 12Volt ???

Do all 3 need to be grounded separately, or can the 85's be looped together with 4" or 5" wire and THEN grounded?  NOW, I have an upgraded wiring harness that has relays, fuses AND goes directly to the battery.  Am I correct in assuming that YOUR diagramed Main HID relay 87 can go DIRECTLY to the trigger of the existing upgraded harness?  I shouldn't remove what I've got, right ... EXTRA protection that's working fine now?

Thanks ... AGAIN!

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

The relays shown are common SPDT Bosch style relays.  You need 30 amp relays. You should be able to purchase them locally at any good auto parts store.  I mail order mine from here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=9682&CAtid=47

There about $5-$6 dollars each at an auto parts store.

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you can connect the 85 terminals together and ground them at one location.

All 87 terminals are 12v outputs to the light pairs. The 86 terminals are the relay activation triggers.

I'm not sure if I'm following your reference to the HID trigger from the upgraded harness.  Are your HID lights connected to a relay wired to the upgraded harness now?  We may have to modify the schematic to work around this issue.

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

OK,

I have the Bosch H4 upgraded harness that was originally designed to pull power directly from the battery and allows you to plug one OEM H4 connector into the input of the harness and then both H4 receptacles are to go to the bulbs.  Since I upgraded to HID, I have disconnected the OEM harness completely to isolate the Highs and Lows.  I did not want the issue of having the Low HID's blink or go OUT when using the Flash-To-Pass or High Beams.  Now that the OEM harness is isolated ... that problem is solved.  The "upgraded" harness that I'm currently using is going directly to the battery and, I believe has 3 relays and is fused as well and has heavier gauge wiring - as compared to stock.  I've got each + balast wire going to the H4 receptacle on each side.  I imagine that should ALL STAY and the main hid trigger wire to both balasts?  That's the only tricky issue ...

Thoughts?

Thanks -

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

I think I understand the HID wiring setup.  Leave the HID wiring as it is, just tap into the HID trigger wire to activate the driving light relay.  Still activate the Hi Beam FF50 relay with the OEM Hi Beam lead and everything should still work like you want it to.

Relay Wiring, Lights -- posted image.

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Nice ... 1 less relay also!  Thanks for the mail order link.  I ordered 4 relays and a pair of dual receptacles.  Looks like I will have a spare set for the future!

The driving lights that I just installed HAVE a relay installed.  That stays, correct?  I've got THAT trigger wire to the oem High trigger - for now.  That trigger will move to the parking light 12volt lead - but then that relay is isolated, right?

Do I need to yank it and follow the "new" dual relay set-up?  I hate to confuse the issue ... we're getting sooooooooo close - and I'm actually starting to actually follow it!

???  Thanks!

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, your HID lights are currently running off of the upgraded harness and need no modification.  You also already have your driving lights working off of a seperate relay, which will be reconfigured  to be triggered by the parking light lead.

You could still use the current driving light relay, still being triggered by the parking light lead, if you can rewire the 12v battery feed to terminal 30 for this relay. To make the driving lights go off when the HI Beam FF50's are turned on, you need the input power for the driving light relay to be coming from the Hi Beam relay, terminal 87a. The Hi Beam relay(on the left of the diagram) terminal 86, is  triggered by the Hi Beam lead, which activates the relay and switches the 12v battery feed from terminal 87a, to terminal 87, which switches the power from the driving light relay to the Hi Beam lights, until the Hi Beam lead is turned off.  So it sounds like you may only need one additional relay.

Be careful using the dual relay receptales, they are wired for specific applications, such as door locks or power windows. You may need to modify the wiring to use them of other applications. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic