icon

Relay Wiring, Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

To confirm the first sentence, the answer is yes.....and no!

Yes, 87a on the Bosch Hi Beam relay is going to where the Hella red wire was.

However, your only direct connection to the battery source is the original red wire, which should now be moved to terminal 30 on the Bosch Hi Beam relay. The battery power will be coming to terminal 30 (via the red wire) on the Bosch relay and battery power will then be connected thru terminal 87a over to the Hella relay, where the red wire used to be connected. Thus, both relays are sharing the one direct battery connection(red wire). 

I hope thats not confusing?

Don

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

Don,

I think I've got it.  It sound sooooo easy, then, I read it over and I get all loopy again.  I guess the "confusing" part it when you say the red wire ... is it connected to the Hella relay ... or the battery. 

Is this correct:  I'm connecting terminal 30 on the Bosch relay to the 12V+ battery for BOTH relays to share.  Then, the Red wire from the Hella relay (WAS TO BATTERY) is going to 87a on the Bosch relay.  I'm then grounding terminal 85 and connecting terminal 86 to the HID trigger, which is actually my parking light wire and terminal 87 is the High Beam lights +.

Yes?  Please say yes.  I feel like we're getting closer by the minute.

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

I thought maybe I was confusing you by how I was trying to describe the wiring.  Here's another diagram which will hopefully make it "clear as mud!"  Post back if you still have any questions or are if things are still unclear.

Relay Wiring, Lights - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

PERFECT!  You draw some fine lookin relays ... and the terminal #'s are also in the right spots!  I will hopefully wire it tomorrow.  I mounted the Bosch relay tonight but that's as far as I got.

Thanks again for your assistance and I WILL post back when I'm done.  After all this ... it "looks" like it will work!

Rick

Relay Wiring, Lights - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Don, you ARE the man!  It works PERFECTLY!  I ran all wires, soldered them, taped them ... and ... Driving Lights go OFF when High Beams are ON!

Now, easier question.  Right now, I've got 3 or 4 wires going to my battery.  I know, it ain't pretty.  Is it OK for me to tap off of one for my back-up light relay, OR ... do I need to go directly to the battery again?  It will only be activated when I shift into reverse - I'm not even sure that matters for what I'm asking.  I did ground my high beams to an existing ground wire.  I'm under the impression that's ok.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! Rick

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

Congratulations on a job well done!  I'm glad you got everything to work properly.

When you stated that you grounded your hi beams to an existing ground wire, did you mean you connected the hi beam lights to an existing grounding bolt with another ground wire, or did you mean you tapped into an existing ground wire?  Tapping into an existing ground wire would be fine, if the existing ground wire is of the same gauge or larger wire size. If the ground wire is smaller than the power wire coming to the lights, the smaller ground wire may heat up if the FF50's pull a lot of current, or the lights may not be as "bright" as they could be if the proper size wires were used.

Yes, it should be OK to tap into one of the battery wires for the back-up lights. I didn't show it in my diagram, but any power feed directly from the battery should always have a fuse installed as a safety precaution.  

I'm not real current on newer vehicle wiring, but I didn't think back-up lights were normally activated with a relay, unless its used as some type of switching component?  Back-up lights don't pull much current, they could be wired straight off of just about any fused ignition controlled power connection.  How are you activating the back-up light relay?

Don

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

I added a 55 watt (similar to a driving beam, I think) to my rear bumper.  Since it's significantly more draw than stock and I want to connect it to the back up 12v wire ... I figured a relay is in order.  I can run 12v positive from the battery back to the relay in the back bumper, ground 85, 86 to the back-up trigger and 87 to the light itself.  Sound good?

Thanks, Rick

On my high/low set-up ... the Hella relay has a built in blade fuse.  The bosch relay is going directly to the battery without a fuse.  Do you suggest a 15amp or 20 amp or something else?  I'm not sure what they're supposed to draw - I could check that.

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Now that I understand your plans on the backup lights, I agree, the relay hookup is the best plan. Your wiring plan for the relay is correct.

I would put at least a 20 amp fuse inline between the battery and the Hi Beam relay.  Or whatever amp fuse the Hella relay has, since they are similar lights.

Don 

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

I think Hella has a 15 amp fuse, but I will check it out.   Do you always monitor this board?  Can I email you in the future with a question or two?

Thanks again for all of your wisdom.  I really appreciate it!  Rick

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic