icon

Surprised at friends budget setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
This is the system my friend just put in his 89 Dodge Daytona.
Subs
Amp
I was very surprised at how loud this setup is. its louder than my car, which is most likely due to the fact that he has a small hatchback, while I have a huge crown vic.
Its not a SQ setup by any stretch of the imagination, but its a killer system for $260 (including wiring) and my friend is very happy with it. I would probably recommend this system to people on a very low budget that dont care about SQ.
For those interested the HU is a old school Sony Mobile-ES and speakers are Polks in the doors and Infinitys in the dash, all that came with the car.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I can't see how that can possibly play louder than what you have. It has to be pure luck.
'85 Toy
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think part of the reason his is louder (besides the fact its a hatchback) is becasue of my POS wal mart HU. I doubt if that thing is even putting out 1 volt, plus it has no eq settings. I should be getting a Eclipse 5425 soon (as soon as i pay my car insuracne, get my car inspected and the exaust fixed) once I have that I expect the sound from my system to increase greatly.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
he lucked out, how long do you think that stuff will last?
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Legacy is pretty trashy but it will usually last forever for some reason no matter how you treat itSurprised at friends budget setup - Last Post -- posted image.
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I would like to see how long the stuff lasts, but even if it doesnt last that long hes not out very much.
Its crazy how overrated the legacy amps is, its supposedly 2000W, but its perfectly matched to the Audiobahn subs which can realistically handle around 200W. The amp is also pretty big, quite a bit bigger than my JBL 600.1, I wonder how much of the space is taken up by electronics.
The funny thing is, I bet the Mobile ES HU will last longer than the subs and amp even though its probably more than five years old already.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
A good install with mediocre products is better than a bad install with the best products.  Sounds like your friend put it all together right, and isn't expecting more from it than it will give.  Congrats for that.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I remember posting a few months back about a friend that had an old school Hifonics Zeus (600 watt amp) hooked up to 4 Pyramid Super Blue 12" subs that actually sounded REAL GOOD. That is a little different because the Zeus was a powerhouse amp back then. To get to the point, his car was a Dodge Daytona also. This was a long time ago. It was an '80's model. Sometimes the car can be a factor in the sound too. But the box and everything has to be correct also. I still don't think that stuff will hold up very long, but for what he spent he can replace it if need be. 
'85 Toy
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I think the install has alot to do with it, he built a really nice sturdy box that is to spec and is angled so the bass bounces right off the back hatch.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'm willing to be it is the hatchback design.  It is amazing how much bass energy the trunk / rear seats can suck away. 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic