icon

Relay Schematic for Operating Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hieppo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Need help in a drawing on how to operate DRL and then switch off when main low beam (HID) turns on.
Currently, DRL is on a separate relay harness drawing power straight from battery and the signal activating relay (86) comes from the accessory key switch. Main low beam (HID) using OEM switch to activate separate relay (86) drawing power from the battery terminal posts.
I need to wire these two so DRL is on regularly and switch off when the OEM switch turns on HID is activated.
Thanks in advance.
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
You need to rewire the 12v power feed from the battery source as shown in the diagram below.

You need to wire the battery feed to terminal 30 on the low beam relay, then wire terminal 87a from the low beam relay to terminal 30 on the DRL relay. This is how the DRL lights will receive power, not directly from the battery as you have it now. Then, when the low beams are turned on, the low beam relay will switch the battery power to the low beams, cutting off the DRL lights.

Relay Schematic for Operating Lights -- posted image.

hieppo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help Hoptup32 but unfortunately it does not work for me.
I wired it almost exactly as you indicated. The only difference was that I used a 4 prongs relay for the DRL light. The HID used a 5 prongs as diagrammed.
What happened was that the DRL lights did not light up without having the OEM low beam switch on. Both lights would turn on. The other problem was that it would blow the fuse (inline from 30 to battery) from HID relay which turns off the HID. This would happen consistenly I found out after I burnt 3 fuses.
Is there something that I missed?
Hiep
Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
The four prong relay should be fine for the DRL, if the terminals are labeled as shown, 85, 86 87 and 30.  The five prong relay should be a typical bosch style relay with the terminals labeled as shown also.

It doesn't sound like you have the relays wired correctly or the 5 terminal relay you are using is not a bosch style relay, with the terminals labeled as shown.  If wired as shown in the diagram, only one set of lights can be on at a time.  If both sets of lights are coming on only when you have the low beam switch on, then something is not wired correctly or you are using the wrong style relay for the HID lights. The low beam switch can only activate the HID relay, not the DRL relay.  The DRL relay is activated by the acc key switch only. 

What size fuse are you using that keeps blowing? I would think you should be using at least a 20-25 amp fuse. What gauge wire are you using from the battery to the relay and from the relays to the lights?  These wires should be at least 12 gauge.

Check the wiring and the relay terminal post designations.

It sounds like when the fuse blows, that only the HID lighs go out, and the DRL lights stay on. That shouldn't be able to happen if wired as shown, using the bosch style relays.

hieppo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I believe I wired it correctly. I followed the numbered on the relay.
The 5 prong relay is not made by Bosch but some other company. It does have the 85, 86, 87, 87a and 30 on each prong.
The 4 prong relay is not made by Bosch as well and it does not have the number labeled. However, I tested the continuity and voltage across the proper terminal to measure it, like 85 and 30 to give 12volts. I measured the continuity 85 and 86 and it is good when the accessory is on.
I am using a 20A fuse on the 30 connection to the battery. I am using 14G wire to the battery, is this not enough?
Thanks for helping.
Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Its OK if you are not using Bosch relays, when I refer to "bosch style" I mean having a relay that has the 85, 86 87, 87a, 30 terminal configuration.  A lot of vendors make relays that copy the Bosch relay in this fashion.  Most 4 prong relays copy this layout, with the exception of not having the 87a terminal.  The fact that your four prong relay doesn't have the terminals labeled leads me to believe that it may have a different configuration than the bosch style.

We need to troubleshoot your wiring setup, starting with the four prong relay.  Terminal 85 is normally used for the ground connection and terminal 86 is usually wired to a +12v wire to activate the relay, in your case, it receives 12v from the acc key switch.  Before you send 12v to terminal 86, there should be no continuity between the two remaining terminals 30 and 87. So, if 85 is grounded, when terminal 86 receives power you should hear a slight click, indicating that the relay coil contacts have switched, and there should then be continuity between terminals 30 and 87, which carry the heavy current load to the lights. 

So unplug all of the relay wiring and lets hook it up and test it as we go.  Starting with the four prong relay, ground the terminal you believe to be 85 and hook up the acc key switch power wire to the terminal you think is 86. Have someone turn the key on and see if you hear the slight click of the relay activation or test to see if you have continuity between the other two terminals when the acc key in on. If so, hook the battery feed to what should be terminal 30 and hook the DRL's to the other terminal, which should be 87. On the four prong relay, terminals 30 and 87 are interchangeable, so its not important to really determine which terminal is which.  If this is wired correctly, then when you turn on the acc key switch, the DRL's should come on. If not, then the relay is not wired properly and needs to be corrected before proceding.

Assuming the wiring to the four prong relay is functioning properly, then unplug the battery feed to the four prong relay and connect it to terminal 30 on the HID relay and then connect HID relay terminal 87a to the terminal on the four prong relay where the battery feed was. So at this point, the HID relay should only have wires on terminals 30 and 87a.  If connected properly, the DRL's should once again come on with the acc key switch. Assuming everything is working as described, then ground HID relay terminal 85 and hook up the OEM low beam switch feed to terminal 86. Now, with the acc key switch on the DRL's should be on. Now, turn on the OEM low beam switch(you should be able to hear the slight click of the HID relay coil switching when the OEM switch is turned on) and the DRL's should go out, if everything is wired properly.  If so, turn everything off and hook up the wire to the HID lights to the remaining relay terminal 87 and try the sequence again. Turn on the acc key switch to activate the DRL's, then the OEM low beam switch to see if the lights operate properly.

The 14g wire is marginal for most type of high current lighting.  14g wire at 20 amps is only good for up to a four foot length of wire.  I'm not sure how many amps you lights are using, 14g may work, but it will drop the voltage down so that the lights will not be as bright as they could be.  Terminals 85 and 86 can be wired with smaller gauge, such as 16-18g wire as they only are used to activate the relay coil, which takes very little current.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic