icon

Installing Radio in 1963 Impala

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MooseRLP 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I need some help. I am going to be installing a aftermarket radio in my brother 1963 Impala the factory radio is DEAD and the wire is bad. I need to know how to wire the power to the radio (should I go directly from the battery? or will this leave the radio on at all times even when the car is off) I plan on tying the remote wire to the amps off the same wire.  Any imput would be greatly appreciated on how to run the power, Ground and the remote wire for the install. Thanks in advance
MooseRLP 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
No help from anyone.  I am doing the install this weekend and this is the first time I install a radio from scratch.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
The radio will have an on-off switch, so go ahead and wire to a local switched 12 volt source...it could be the battery pos (constant) if you wish, but the radio will have to be manually turned off when exiting the car.  Put a fuse inline on the power wire to cover the amperage the radio will pull.  Install the amp remote wire to a switched 12 volt source...it can be the same switched source as the radio, and put a 1 amp fuse in that amp remote wire near the power source, too.  You will find a wire somewhere under the dash.  That is, if the new radio doesn't have a remote lead that is hot when the radio is turned on.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Lthlquicksilver 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
99% of radios have two power cables feeding into them.  There is the constant (yellow) and the turn on (red).  This is how to hook it up.  The yellow wire goes directly to the battery or to any other wire behind the dash that is ALWAYS on.  The red wire goes to a cable that only gets power when the car turns on.  Check near your steering column for these cables and use a power probe to find out which is which.  If you need further help, let me know.
MooseRLP 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah there is wiring from the factory HU put the wiring is NO GOOD. I just found out that the person who  had the car before had an aftermarket radio in the glove box and left the wires there. I guess I will have to check to see if any of theat wiring is live with a voltage meter. From the picture my brother sent me there is like 4-5 wires. What wires should I look to use for the ACC wire and the Constant power (Constant will always show what voltage and the ACC wire will only show voltage when the key is turned correct?) Then I will just ground the radio to the car correct. Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic