icon

Infinity Subwoofer, need an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bishop9779 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased two Infinity Reference 12" Subwoofers, 1242w, with dual voice coils and the following specs:
Power Handling, RMS: 300 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 1000 Watts
Sensitivity: 93dB
Frequency Response: 23Hz - 400Hz
Mounting Depth: 5-1/16"
Impedance: 2 or 8 Ohms
(though on another page from the infinity website, and every ebay auction, it says max power is 1200w). it says each coil is 4 ohms so if i can have the two speakers at 4 ohms or 1 ohm.
I'd like to have a good amp to run these things but I'm not sure which one to get. I was going to get an Infinity 611A ($130-$200) (456 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (657 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)) or kenwood KAC-7202 ($100) (150W X2 @14.4 V RMS Power @ 4ohms , 460W x1 @ 14.4V Bridged RMS at 4ohms )
I dont know if the infinity will overpower the speakers and if this is bad, or if the kenwood wont be strong enough to make them hit hard. Please advise. If you know of a better amp to make these things pound, let me know what is good to get. I dont wanna spend more than $200 on an amp.
bishop9779 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
i was also considering dumping these and getting the 1240w's that only has one coil. advice please! no1 i know will help me, it is QUITE annoying:)
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
go with the infinity amp @2ohms. it is better to overpower a little then to underpower.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 infinity reference 1242w wired to a 4 0hm load.  I have the profile ap1200 (600 watts rms at 4 ohms) ($109 at millionbuy.com).  I love this setup. It is tight and accurate, but it really gets loud when you want it to.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

You'll find that most people have had not so great experience with infinity amps.  There over rated in most peoples opinion.  I don't know much about kenwood amps though.  I have a low end profile amp and I love it.  I got it for really cheap and it does what I need to do.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It gets the job done and it sounds good doing it.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
menaztricks 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
Have their experiences been bad because the infinity amps dont last long or do they sound bad? When you say theyre over rated, youmean the watts? I need an amp to run one of those 1242ws and I am liking the price of that profile j_darling uses. Assuming the price was the same, which would be the better amp to get, the infinity or the profile?
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, you could go with two Alpine MRV-M301 (i think that's the model #). I've got the 501, and it was powering an infinity perfect 12.1d, but i fried two of 'em so I got a new sub. Another amp would probally be better thou.
One downside, they are DVC 4 ohm, so you're gonna have either a 4-ohm load on your amp or a 1-ohm load (well, you could have really high loads, but that would just be pointless).
Good luck
-Drew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic