icon

How to Upgrade the Big Three

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badasschevillac 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
ok did the big three, and still my voltage is not were it is suppose to be. when i first start the truck its good, but that is only the computer telling the motor to rev higher to warm up and get the oil press. right. then when i put it in gear, the rpm's drop so does the voltage!
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
I am getting ready to do the big 3 in my 2006 Nissan Frontier. The issue I have is there is a variable voltage sensor in line with the neg of the batt & frame on truck. In the owners manual it says not to bypass this device. It also says that bypassing will cause the battery not to fully charge. So my questions are what do I do about the ground? Has anyone done this vehicle before?
snyper99 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
how can i dp the big three on a 68 pontiac catalina with an external regulator,right now the alternaot has two wires attatched to it,one from the stud(+)on the back and one wire from the alternator to the regulator,i wa also thinking about getting a internal regulated alternator with the alternator conversion kit
robyn402 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

just so i'm totally clear the 3 wires your upgrading are

1) Battery to ground

2)alternator to battery

3) alternator case to ground

doggs88 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

With my '88 Crown Vic, I seem to be getting sufficient power already to my electronics. No caps and 3 amps in my system. Minimal headlight dims @ night compared to what I've seen in others'. Will the Big 3 do anything for me at all and if I'm getting  around 13 for each of the amps, should I try for the Big 3 to get more, or is it overkill?

I'm 'bout to "P**p My Ride"...
chequemonque 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 99 toyota truck that comes with a 70 amp alt. I am going to do the big three, but have a question in that regard. From what i can tell the output from the alternator runs directly to the fuse box under the hood. If i run power directly from the alt to the battery does that cause some kind of power problems? Also, do I need to put a fuse between the alternator output and the the battery.  Im looking at the big three to stop dimming in my headlights when the stereo is turned up. **alpine 9885 tuner, alpine mrv545 amp, 10 inch p3 sub, and infinity perfects. The amp is working hard  as the p3 and the perfects are power hungry. I may add an amp later for the sub..... My battery is stock or a replacment of lkq.

Thanks

ruggerman 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
just added som 8awg from the bat to the alt and it made a difference. At idle my volts went from 13.8 to 14.5 Gonna do the complete ugrade this weekend using 2awg and solder the connections, I just crimped it now, as I had the 8awg left from my high amp. Thanks DYohn it was a very informative thread.How to Upgrade the Big Three - Page 11 -- posted image.
doggs88 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  

I too want to upgrade to the Big 3 in my '90 Ford PGT. The problem i'm having is the alternator not charging the battery due to the stator wire not being plugged up. I can't seem to find it anywhere in the vehicle. Can anyone please help me out to determine where I'd possibly find this wire.

How to Upgrade the Big Three - Page 11 -- posted image.

doggs88 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Nevermind... found out that THIS alternator was for the automatic.  The manual GT didn't have the stator wire as the alternator itself was of a "self-excited" make.   How to Upgrade the Big Three - Page 11 -- posted image.

prgngsta88 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hey i just got an alpine 12 inch type r with a MRP 500 500watt alpine amp with a rockford 1 farad capacitor installed in my 08 civic lx and i was told by the people who work at best buy that the capacitor makes it sound better and would prevent making my lights dim. When i play something with hard hitting bass my lights dim slightly but nothing like u would notice right away, u really have to look at it to see it. I am extremely new to car audio and hardly know anything about it. Please help me out because when i look trough forums people say you need a cap but i do or a new battery and alt. But i hear that you need to change those out for a very powerful systems like something around 1000watts or more. I really need help because i do not want this to damage my alt if thats possible.

Also my sub is connect to my stock radio system for now if that makes a difference. I plan to change the rest out once i get over this problem. I heard of people doing a big 3 will this help? Also im wondering which deck i should get and which 6 1/2 speakers to use to replace stock speakers.

Heres the links to the main components i have.

< color=#003399>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7057383&productCategoryId=abcat0302037&type=product&tab=1&id=1108124880979#productdetail

< color=#003399>http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MRP-M500&lang=en&tab=F

< color=#003399>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8286482&productCategoryId=abcat0307008&type=product&tab=1&id=1172880157454#productdetail

< color=#003399>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7008542&st=q+logic&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1099392684268

Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic