icon

How to Upgrade the Big Three

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I just did the big 3 with 4 AWG wire, since i have a GM i use side post for factory wiring, and since my yellow top has side and top, I used top for all the wires I added.
DEFINATE dimming related difference, and it looks great check out my job its on my profile link page 4 if you want. Thanks alot for thissticky it helped tons. whole thing cost about 80 bucks (battery tops were 50 for both...) and it was a well worth upgrade. Didnt take long at all either.
the 4awg was actually bigger than factory wiring, so you knooow its helpin lol How to Upgrade the Big Three - Page 4 -- posted image. thanks again
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
hoppinlowrider 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone ever done this upgrade to a Chevy Lumina or any car wit a 3.1L?  I plan on doin this soon but i dont know where the battery +  goes to the Alternator +.   Does it go through a fuse box or what?  and does anyone know where the engine to ground is?   I am going to use 4 guage  i think because it looks bigger than stock.  What do you guys think?    If anyone has done this or knows where they are please let me know and show some pics if you can, please.    And i also want to know if you can use both side post and top posts on a battery at the same time?

clayboy95 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
  I was just going out to add to the big three, when I noticed the wire from the alternator goes to a distribution block on the firewall (90 chev pick up Ext cab.)  and just a small wire from there back to the battery.  My question is, can i just add a bigger gauge cable from the alt. right to the battery.  Thanx
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

clayboy95 wrote:
  I was just going out to add to the big three, when I noticed the wire from the alternator goes to a distribution block on the firewall (90 chev pick up Ext cab.)  and just a small wire from there back to the battery.  My question is, can i just add a bigger gauge cable from the alt. right to the battery.  Thanx

Sure, just leave the factory wiring intact.

Support the12volt.com
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm having touble and am looking for an easy solution. I just put a 220 amp alt in my F250, I used 1/0 gauge wire for the charge wire so far. I plan on doing the ground this weekend. The problem is the new alternator stud is too short to use the stock and new eye terminal at the same time. I am running just the 1/0 now and I only have until mid day tomorrow to get parts in for the weekend. I have heard of stud extenders, but I don't have much clearance between the water cross over and the stock stud. What will do the trick?
Btw thanks for the walk through, I started a pdf of my process if it will help anyone let me know.
trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
can i use heavy gauge amp wire to upgrade my Negative from alternator to chassis.
Positive from alternator to battery.
Negative from battery to chassis.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I finally read this.

I always did this with highend, competition, demo and large systems. I assumed everyone knew this already but actually shouldn't be surprised.

Great info guys.

isisfreak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Is 2 AWG or 0AWG really necessary? I can see for really high amperage systems, but what about the guys running low amperage? My system is only like 80A. Do I need something so heavy or can I use some 4AWG like the rest of my system?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

isisfreak wrote:
Is 2 AWG or 0AWG really necessary? I can see for really high amperage systems, but what about the guys running low amperage? My system is only like 80A. Do I need something so heavy or can I use some 4AWG like the rest of my system?

You can use 4AWG.

Support the12volt.com
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

Do most people use circuit protection in the wire from the alt to bat +?.. most factory harnesses I see have circuit protection of some sort on this wire; I'm wondering if people are leaving this out when they upgrade.

Jim

Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic