icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

If i'm wrong, i'm glad to finally know the truth. this will save me alot of headache in the future. but, haemhpyst, don't tell what i have or haven't saw. if overpowering one voice coil can damage the sub, then like i said, running only one voice coil CAN cause damage. think about how you say something before you say it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
think about how you say something before you say it.

1lowgalant, you should read it again:

haemphyst wrote:
1lowgalant wrote:
I know I've seen subs suffer damage due to running only one voice coil on a dvc.
No, you have not. Not SPECIFICALLY from only running one voice coil. What was probably the CAUSE of the damage, if there was truly damage done, was from overpowering the single voice coil. When you are running one coil, the power handling is cut in (close to) half - i.e. a 200 watt DVC woofer will only handle 110 watts (or so) when one coil is powered - NOT the full 200 watts the woofer is RATED for..

Believe me, haemphyst was not only very clear in what he said, he was also very polite...

...for haemphyst.   Running One VC on a DVC Sub - Page 2 -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
1lowgalant 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
i know exactly what i said and what he said. what he said was assuming i had no common sense on running one voice coil halfing the handling power. i know this and understand it very clearly, but most other people do not. Thus, running one voice coil, with the power to run two, can damage a sub, exactly what i was refering to. the only thing i was curious about was running one vc and the sub staying balanced. now that i think about it, and have backup feedback, i understand this end now. as far as power handling, i knew this already but i didn't clearly state this assuming people knew what i was talking about but go figure.  i never said i was right or wrong, just misinformed . anyways, thanks for mostly all of the feedback.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
1lowgalant, please chill out.  There is no need for hostility.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

Just to explain the way we answer questions in the forum: 

Since these questions and answers are read by a lot of people, a good respondent like haemphyst (along with most of the regular contributors) will provide more reasons for a given problem than your situation alone might call for.  1lowgalant, given that you are an experienced installer, it is assumed from the start that you know that one coil of a DVC driver would take only half the power of both combined.  But a lot of readers who are looking to the 12volt.com for guidance don't know that, or at least haven't given it any thought.  These threads are ways to get the information out there in a variety of ways, and threads like this one allow the forum to do that.

It takes only a few times of leaving important parts of the big picture out of the response, and then getting called on it by another member, to get into the habit of "covering all bases".

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aaron9999a 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, how about running each voice coil with a different amp (of the same type with the same settings)?
stevdart 
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Check out, er, that is to say, read the Dan Wiggins paper that was linked on the previous page.  It's got your answer.  But the quick and dirty is:  sure it's okay...it's 2 channels with two mono amps as much as its two channels with one combined 2-channel amp.  It would even be considered "two channels" if both the amps in question were bridged 2-channel amps.  This thread talks about it.
MrSuperStar 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
"Dual Voice Coils: For increased system flexibility, the woofer has two 4-ohm voice coils. When the voice coils are wired in parallel with each other, the woofer presents a 2-ohm mono load. When the voice coils are wired in series with each other, the woofer presents an 8-ohm mono load. -->In addition, each coil may be connected to a different amplifier channel and each channel will see a 2-ohm load.<--"
This was quoted from crutchfield about the Alpine type R. My question is about what's in between the arrows. Why would each channel see a 2 ohm load if its a dual 4? Is this a typo?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like a typo.  Should be 4-ohms.
Support the12volt.com
1lowgalant 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
sorry for getting ill guys. thats my bad. thanks for all the feedback. this will help me out in the future.
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic