icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
camusmuse 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Great topic!!  I've been arguing this for years as well.  Not a thing wrong with only running one coil, or even running different info to the two coils.  Infinity had a home speaker line called Quantum(this is gonna date me) that ran a watkins dual vc 12" woofer.  One coil was 6ohms the other was 2ohms(I think...been a few years).  They had a nifty passive crossover with what I believe was a special notch filter for the 2 ohm coil to make up for the "peaks and valleys" of the 8ohm coil.  Sure this did goofy things to the overall impedance, but it had amazing bass for two twelves(in stereo). 

If the situation ever presented itself, I'd love to try something similar with a more modern dual or quad vc speaker with active crossover and dsp.  I'd imagine the tuning would be nearly limitless.....and a big PITA, but thats half the fun isnt it?  

demo21r 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
not really on subject but.
Here goes not sure if this is right I believe that when I hook 2 dual 2omhs subs up I should have a 1 ohm load ?
bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
if you have 2 2ohm DVC woofers and only used one voice coil of each woofer then you would have 1 ohm going into the amp. if the amp is a mono block amp then that would be the perceived impedance.
"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked in high-end shops for quite some time now and have to agree and disagree with the views stated here.  Yes, DVC is nice because of the different options to wire them, but they aren't intended to be used with only one VC.  The reason for DVC was for running multi-sub systems.  There may have been a coupl esubs that suggested running one for bass and one for varied QT, but not nowadays.  You can run one VC at half RMS power yes, but you still should just buy the right amp/sub combination instead of half-assing it.  And also, I don't think you guys who are saying "just use the other VC when you blow one" have actually tried this successfully...at least not for very long.  When you blow a VC it can still damage the other and if it doesn't then it can still "hang up" on the pole when the other is hooked up and used.  In other words it's just not a good idea.  Just because something works, doesn't make it the right way.  You can get an amp to "work" by running 16g speaker wire to the battery for power and ground, but thats not right is it?
demo21r 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I got my subs and amp today and what was 2 single vc 2 ohm subs are actually 2 dvc 2omh subs and i have a 1200 watt class d mono amp capable of 1 ohm now how do I wire them
Rich
bmwpwner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

"And also, I don't think you guys who are saying "just use the other VC when you blow one" have actually tried this successfully...at least not for very long.  When you blow a VC it can still damage the other and if it doesn't then it can still "hang up" on the pole when the other is hooked up and used.  In other words it's just not a good idea. "

actually i have used the other coil and the stereo did fine afterwards. now if the woofer is covered under warranty then by all means swap it out and do it right but if something is way out of warranty or if that model isn't made anmore (which was the case) then if you check the impedance of the unused coil and everything checks out then yes you can use the other coil. again, if anyone says this is an incorrect way to run ANY dvc then i dare say you have fallen victim of learning your craft via book knowledge rather than practical application. and if doing this in the older model dvc or newer ones is incorrect then i would love to see why that is so. i have been doing this since DVC came out and have never seen a problem with running one vc. regardless of anything else this has sparked all kind of responses on this topic. good times.

-Socrates-
Installer_mss 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2006 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
actually my knowledge has come from building award winning competition vehicles at high end shops, not books.  my only book knowledge, as you call it, has come from the MECP certification books.  i'm only victim to hearing the stupidity of half-ass installers that work in junk shops.  and i have over 100 trophies on the counter at work to prove it.  if you read my post correctly you would have realized i said that running one VC can work but it is half assed and not what the manufacturer made it that way for.  also, i never said it always damaged both VCs, i said it can.  and once again i said it CAN hang up on the pole piece, not that it always did.  to me, it sounds like you guys need to read a book...or at least not do half ass work and think that you are right.  but you know, they say never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups, right?  Not intended toward the people here that know what the hell they are talking about or those who were never in this.  please don't waste any more of my time until you get some more education and experience there, amature.
Installer_mss 
Posted: August 17, 2006 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
i never said it was wrong in the sense that it would cause damage to the sub.  i mean that it's not how the manufacturer intended it to be used.  if you ever look at the specs for any woofer, it doesn't say: hook it up this way at this power, in this application with one VC, OR if you use both use it this way instead.  all i'm saying is that it's half-*** and ****** up to sell a customer a piece of equipment and then only hook up half of it for them.  sell them the right stuff to begin with.  if they come in with the wrong doodie, then try to help them get the right woofers for the amp they have or vise-versa.  if they don't want to dish out the cash (which too many customers don't want to) then hook it up one VC.  once again...i'm not saying it won't work or that it'll mess things up...it's just not the way it should be.
bmwpwner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

HOLD UP BABY! calm down and take one of those pills. only people that question their knowledge get that upset that quickly sweetums. the reason there aren't any diagrams in the woofer connection guide that comes with each speaker is because (i'm ASSUMING - place your quote/joke here ASS-U-ME) that any installer with a couple of months of experience should know that you can use only one vc. that is great that you build these huge "competition" vehicles and it is your opinion that we are "half-assing".

i work for the largest electronics retailer in the world and i have 10 years of apprenticeship under my belt at a custom shop. you also need to understand that for those of us in the world of retail (big box stores ie publicly traded company) that we carry products that fits the majority of the general publics needs. a dvc woofer makes more sense than carrying 5 different model numbers that only differ in impedance loads. again i respect your opinion on product and/or installation suggestions but please do not call me a half ass installer unless you have taken my work apart and can back up your claim. i have been in the business a long time and i still learn something new everyday but on this fact i stand firm and if i'm wrong i am the luckiest guy in the world.

**on a side note i am MECP certified but i don't really thinks that makes a bit of difference. good luck and hope this helps.

-Socrates-
Installer_mss 
Posted: August 17, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
don't come at me sideways.  i didn't insult you so give me the same respect.  i said that its different for certain applications.  i too have worked for a huge chain store and that reason you just gave me has made me go back to sole-proprietor custom shops.  i don't know about your work nor do you of mine.  i have 7 years experience in custom work myself so i know how things go.  i care more about making the customer happy than making the store a dollar.  i have no beef bmw unless it gets brought my way first.  people here should read doodie more carefully and try to understand what others are saying before they pop of at the damn mouth.
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic