the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Whoa, installer_mss... WHOA!!!
Dude, you need to chill out. I did read your post, and I felt personally attacked with your first post. I personally don't like being told I'm wrong, especially when I know I'm right. You are new here, at the12volt, and (to borrow your phrase) you have no idea who I am, or my credentials. You may be an installer with much experience, (it is not for me to say otherwise, I don't know you) but I personally know two (actually 1 and ½ - one full-fledged, one third year apprentice) loudspeaker designer/engineers at Harman International in Northridge. When they say "There is nothing wrong with running one voice coil", I think I can fairly safely bring that information here. There is no "grain-of-salt" involved.
Steven Kephart worked for Adire Audio, one of the most highly respected names in high-end audio - does the name Dan Wiggins ring a bell? Did you by chance read the paper by Dan that I know was linked to early on in this thread? If you did, and you are still questioning the validity of the viability of only running one voice coil, I have to wonder what kind of car you're driving - gotta be an H2, cause your head wouldn't fit in anything smaller...
For your information, I have seen MANY times in the past, an owners manual from several manufacturers, (all the names escape me presently, but I can say with certainty, that I had two Infinty Pro 12's with three sets listed...) an actual listing of THREE sets of Thiel-Small parameters - one with one voice coil, and one series and one parallel wiring. Granted, it is not common-place today, most everybody will use both coils, because it's "better"... (lower impedance gets more power from the amp, so it MUST be "better", right?)
I "have no beef" with you, either, but I can tell you that no matter HOW much you think you know, if you listen with an open mind, you'd be very surprised how much you can learn. Calm down, pay attention, and learn a little bit. You will find that you are NOT always right, and it's an eye-opening experience!
Welcome to the12volt, I'm sure in your experience, you have gained MUCH knowledge, hang out here, and share some, but always know that as much as you might actually know yourself, there are others out there that can teach you even more. You have been learning your whole life, and those SAME types of people were the ones teaching you all along, and there are more out there... We try to be a mature forum for professionals and amateurs alike, and we (generally) all show respect to all the other members here. Please do the same, and one of the ways we all show that, is refraining from profanity.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
demo21r 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Here Here
But now back to shorting the 2nd VC or putting in a resistor what is the correct way I have 2 2omh solo baric kickers and a 1200 watt class D mono amp capable of running 1 omh I under stand use 1 VC Each in series but what do I do with the other 2 VC's
It does say Rookie next to my monogram
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

Not answering for anybody else, but here's my thoughts on this:  it's a dangerous habit to get into, thinking and saying that you'll just lose 10% of total power handling using one voice coil, as if it's a perfectly acceptable option for the mainstream and fundamentally-challenged user.  Unless you are working up a very advanced setup, both coils should be used...unless the manual specifically states otherwise.  Here is a typical Kicker manual, and here is one from Alpine.  The first specifically forbids using just one coil, and the second says the same thing by way of illustrations...a one-coil "option" is omitted, which makes it forbidden by omission.  

Most subwoofers that I know about have availablity in more than one coil configuration.  And add to that the fact that we have both mono and two channel amplifiers to choose from.  Which is to say there is no reason, other than something esoteric and far from mainstream, to put a system together where you are forced to use only one coil.  It's called an "oops".  Or, if it's a salesman in a car audio shop selling a customer a mismatched system with the advice that using one (of two) coils is a viable option, it's misleading (if it doesn't say the same thing in the manual). 

The proper thing for the professional in the industry to do is to put together a proper package of goods.  The proper thing for the end user to do is to wire subwoofers according to the instructions contained in the sub's manual.  As was stated above, just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be done.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
demo21r 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Mine was the (oops!) I ordered the wrong one so looks like this one will be expensive and I will order the 4 ohm version to make it right. thank you all I have learn alot and will continue to read on and watch the forum for info.
Thanks for the info as sales rep was of no use
demo21r 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Is this amp considered a good amp to drive 2 2ohm subs
RMS Power Output:     750W x 1 @ 2 Ohm
Peak Power Output:     1500W x 1 @ 2 Ohm
Birdged Output:     1210W x 1 @ 1 Ohm
Signal To Noise Ratio:     100dB
Frequency Response:     5Hz-250Hz
Input Sensitivity:     100mV-16V
Bass Boost:     0-18dB
Built-In Crossovers:     Variable 24dB
THD @ 4 Ohm RMS Power:     0.10%
Ohm Load Stability:     1 Ohm
Low Level Input:     Yes
Built in Cooling Fan:     No
Bass Control Knob:     Yes
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst, i have to say i have a lot of respect for you.  i admit a said some strong words that probaly should have been toned down, but the way you approached it deserves respect.  this as i recall is a thread asking opinions.  i don't think running half a woofer is the best idea but i will not deny that it will work.  thank you for the way you responded...some people here (including me actually) should follow suit.  sorry if i offended anyone...besides bmwpwner...lol, j/k, but stop the name calling.
Installer_mss 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
are they DVC 2 ohm subs or single VC.  and what brand of amp?  what is the rms handling of each sub?
demo21r 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
The Amp is a concept CD 1210
The Subs are Kicker 04S12L7 D2 12 Inch
    * 12" Kicker L7
    * Dual 2 Ohm Impedance
    * RMS Power Handling 750 Watts
    * Peak Power Handling 1500 Watts
I also have the choice of a
Brand:     Concept
RMS Power Output:     1150W x 1 @ 2 Ohm
Peak Power Output:     2100W x 1 @ 2 Ohm
Birdged Output:     2410W x 1 @ 1 Ohm
Signal To Noise Ratio:     95dB
Frequency Response:     5Hz-250Hz
Input Sensitivity:     100mV-16V
Bass Boost:     0-18dB
Built-In Crossovers:     Variable 24dB
THD @ 4 Ohm RMS Power:     0.10%
Ohm Load Stability:     1 Ohm
Low Level Input:     Yes
Built in Cooling Fan:     No
Bass Control Knob:     Yes
Still not sure please help these are for my sons 16th Birthday But if really sounds good i might geta set also
Rich
demo21r 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
His head unit is a Vintage Poineer DEH 47 front speakers are 3.5 blauplunkt rears are 6x9 coax blauplunkt
I allready have the Kicker subs
Installer_mss 
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
they should match up fine...you won't get 100% power from the amp...but it'll give enough if those specs are accurate.  besides, it won't get as hot running at 2 ohms instead of 1 ohm so you'll be able to jam it for long periods of time with no problem.  make sure you don't have any voltage drop below 12 volts...11.5 min.  if it does, it can damage the amp.  use at least 4 guage power and ground or bigger and make sure you have a good ground.  an extra battery or couple of capacitors wouldn't hurt to be honest.  especially if its a small car or mini truck.  there are various forum topics you can read that should be quite helpful.
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic