the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 791xv 98 trans am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Did not find a 1057 document on Directechs, but 1052 is for Camaro/Firebird door locks.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
You have an open trace on the lock side of the door lock relays inside the BCM. Repair the burnt circuit board trace, and you will be OK.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Kapedogg 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Yep, I went off that 1052 document.  also tried wiring with a DEI 451, but had the same result. 

I'm thinking it is in the bcm as suggested, but I have no idea how to repair a circuit board trace.  If it is that, could I directly wire the RED / black from the switch to the gray wire going to the motor and bypass the BCM? 

OR the gray wire is cut somewhere on its way to the motor locks cause it does get juice when I hit the lock buttons.  Is that a possibility?

Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
What's the best way to bypass the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) in a 1998 pontiac trans am.  I see kits on ebay for like $25.  Does DEI offer a part that easily interfaces with a Viper 791XV alarm, i 'd like to have quality/dependability?  I plan to swap a used BCM for mine which seems to have a fried circuit and need to get it to work with my key. 
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
resistor and a relay... fast and effective
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

I need a little bit more assistance than that.  I don't really know which wires to tap into, or exactly how to measure the resistance of the key.

Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone know what I need to do here?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you have changed the BCM, you will have to get the dealer to reprogram it for your car and VATS system. The BCM reads the value of the resistor in your key when you place it in the ignition cylinder. The resitance value of the key is stored in the BCM. If the value of the key matches the stored value the BCM will enable the fuel and starter circuits. If you bypass the current system, it won't help after you replace the BCM. You need to use a ohm meter to measure the resistor in the key. Cut the two white wires, usually insulated inside orange or black insulation and install a resistor of the same value as the key across the two cut sides of the wires going into the car and not the key cylinder. This way the car will see the correct value all the time.
sparky
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know where and which wire is the hood pinswitch wire in a '98 firebird?  I've looked around the wiring guides and haven't ever seen this one.  Basically I have a Viper 791xv with everything hooked up except the remote starter, and I want to hook it up.  Shouldn't be too tought to find all the rest of the correct wires, but if anyone has suggestions or knows exactly which wires go to what and can provide this help, that would be awesome!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
Page of 6

Wire/Function Colour Location/Description Polarity
PASSIVE ANTI-THEFTYESPASSKEY / V.A.T.S. SEE NOTES
12 VOLTSRedIgnition harness +
IGNITIONPinkIgnition harness +
ACCESSORYOrangeIgnition harness +
STARTERYellowIgnition harness +
KEY SENSELt.greenIgnition harness -
TACH SIGNALSEE NOTES
WHITE at the Ignition module on the top of the engine for the 3.8L. The 5.7L engine has a coil per cylinder. The WHITE tach wire can be found at the PCM behind the right strut tower at pin-35 of the 80 pin connector.
LOCKRED / blackDriver's kick panel -
The BCM which control the doorlocks goes into a sleep mode when the vehicle is left sitting for a few minutes and the doorlocks no longer operate. The module must be 'woken up' before the doorlocks can be operated again. See the ALARM diagram for details. PLEASE NOTE: On models equipped with no factory security, the doorlocks can be wired as a reverse polarity doorlock system.
UNLOCKORANGE / blackDriver's kick panel -
The BCM which control the doorlocks goes into a sleep mode when the vehicle is left sitting for a few minutes and the doorlocks no longer operate. The module must be 'woken up' before the doorlocks can be operated again. See the ALARM diagram for details. PLEASE NOTE: On models equipped with no factory security, the doorlocks can be wired as a reverse polarity doorlock system.
DOORPINGray/black & BLACK/ whiteAt BCM above pass. Kick -
Both wires should be isolated with 1N4001 diodes to prevent any feedback. You can also find your hatch trigger and doorlock wires here as well as the hatch release wire.
TRUNK PINORANGE / blackIn driver's kickpanel -
TRUNK RELEASEBLACK/ whiteIn driver's kickpanel -
DRIVER DOOR LATCHGray/blackSame as doorpin -
FACTORY DISARMSee notes
BRAKESWITCHWhite or Lt.blueAt switch above brake pedal +
PARKLIGHTSBrownIn driver's kickpanel +
HAND BRAKETan/whiteAt steering column harness -
HORNBlackAt steering column harness -
CLUTCH SWITCHDk.greenAt switch on top of clutch pedal TYPE 1
DRIVER WINDOW UPDk.blueAt switch in driver's door REV POL
DRIVER WINDOW DOWNBrownAt switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW UPBlue or Blue/whiteAt switch in driver's door REV POL
PASSENGER WINDOW DOWNTanAt switch in driver's door REV POL
HEADLIGHTSYellowAt light switch harness +
REVERSE LIGHTSLt.green or GrayIn driver's kickpanel +
DIMMERGrayAt dimmer switch harness
VSS WIREDk.GREEN / WHITEBehind radio or at PCM 4000ppm
This wire can be found on the connector to the rear of the vehicle's radio or at the PCM behind the right strut tower pin-55 of the 80-pin connector.
DATABUS INTERFACEPin-2(top row from left)Diagnostic plug below dash DATA
V.A.T.S.WhiteIn orange tube at steering column DATA