Viper 791xv Remote Start Fail

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pracy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I have just installed a Viper 791xv alarm system into my aussie 1999 WRX. sedan.   I have installed 791xv with remote start, Backup Batt and Microwave sensor....

Now it took me a while to find the correct TACH wire at the ECU, I have now found this wire and the light (LED) turns solid quickly when doing the 'learn' procedure.. I then shut off the car..

When i attempt to use the remote start, the remote beeps and the car get ready to start. The starter engages for maybe 0.5 - 1 sec and then nothing happens, the car just sits and power is switched back off. It never gets to start as the starter only enages for split second...

Some points;

-I have the 556U installed to bypass the standard immobiliser. I am using method 2, in which the antenna is cut off the 556U and the standard 2 wire antenna is used.  Does this method work?

-I have the shock sensor and microwave coupled together on the multiplexed input.

-I removed the wires from the shock and microwave and the remote still fails.

-After wirring the thick gauge satilite loom to either side of the starter wire, i cut the original starter wire in between. It didn't say to do this but i wasn't sure how the immob would work without cutting this wire. I have since rejoined this wire temp, the remote starter still failed.

-I have tried switching the unit to 'Voltage sense' instead of TACH and it still fails.

-Tried turning off the 'Anti-Grind' also without good results..

-I didn't need to use any relay yet as I havn't add any points of immob yet. Should there be relays used in a standard install of this alarm. At the starter maybe?

Can someone please suggest some testing points and maybe some steps to go through...

Would be greatly appreciated

pracy

Hers- 99' Silver WRX Sedan -3" xForce stainless turbo back + GFB BOF
His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
matt zorn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
A simple way to understand a DEI piece is read the manual.
You can do a rem start shut down diagnostic on everyone one of their units. I am guessin that your brake wire is the problem.. possibly the tach. Tach in a WRX is lt/GREEN/ black @ the ecu. 2nd plug from the bottom, First pin, middle row. (ive done a few WRX's)
Since you may not have the manual available... Shut down Diagnostic is as follows:
Push Programming button in and hold.
Turn key ON then Off
Release Button
Push button 1 time then release.
Count the flashes on the LED.
1 = timed out
2 = over-rev
3 = low or no rpm
4 = transmitter or optional shut down (blue/white on brain)
5 = nuthing.. there is no 5
6 = negative shut down or positive shut down (hood or brake)
7 = nuetral safety shut down
8 = wait to start timed out.
I have been installing DEI for over 10 years, and trained over 100 installers on DEI,and I have found that the unit is RARELY defective or problem-matic.
99% of the time its the install, not the unit.
good luck
MAtt
pracy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

thankyou for the fast great reply!!

I have the manual, and followed it as good as I could. I also doubt the unit is defective.

I would imagine its the install and only a small problem, I hope.

I found the tach on the Black loom, light green wire. Not sure if it had a black trace though. Justy plain green. Still the tach learn's as the LED goes solid after holding the valet button.

Would the LED go solid if it was the wrong tach wire?

I didn't think of the remote shutdown Diagnostic because i hadn't successfully got it to remote start yet. I thought these Diagnostics would only be for failed remote starts, which i have but i havn't got a full start up yet.

except for the key, which starts fine.

Will i still get a Diagnostic read out even if it hasn't started properly yet?

thankyou!!!

His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
pracy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

also does the standard installation need a relay in the starter circuits anywhere?

I installed the thick gauge wires (satilite loom) and cut the original starter wire... Sound correct?

I havn't installed any relay as the manual didn't mention any... am i missing a relay or something?

cheers

His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
pracy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Matt, can you please point out the tach wire. Just incase I got it wrong.

(though it seems to learn fine)

Viper 791xv Remote Start Fail -- posted image.

His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
pracy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

I wish this place had an edit button!!

cheers

http://users.tpg.com.au/mpracy/P3260010.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/mpracy/P3260011.JPG

His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Your installation to the starter wire sounds correct, trusting you have the purple wire running to the starter output side and the green to the key side of the circuit, all should be fine. If your starter is cranking over at all, then you have these wires correct.
Have you tried disconnecting the wire you have running to the tachometer and set it to voltage sensing(feature 3-2)? Make sure you set it to voltage check level low as well(feature 3-6), and set your crank time to atleast .8 seconds(feature 3-5).
Have you tried removing the connections for the immobilizer bypass and leaving a known working key in the ignition cylinder in the off position? The techsheet I just looked at does not list a transponder requirement for either the US or UK versions of the 99 Impreza, so these are just suggestions for something else to try.
Keep us posted.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried removing the connections for the immobilizer bypass and leaving a known working key in the ignition cylinder in the off position?
I would also do this as your next step in the troubleshooting process.
pracy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the replys guys! great steps to try!!

I tried to shutdown Diagnostic which returned 6 LED flashes.

6 = negative shut down or positive shut down (hood or brake)

The hood pin isn't hooked up yet as i havn't drilled the hole. The wire is just sitting not earthed. Does it need an earth to start? I thought earthing this wire may have stopped the remote start so i just left it.

The brake wire is hooked up, will check if its correct this afternoon asap.

thankyou guys

my next test will be disconnecting the 556U and using a key in the ignition, I wasnt aware that worked! :)

mind you i did try a remote start, which failed, when i had the key in the off pos. But i hadn't disconnected the 556U. normally i was removing the key to try remote starting it. A couple times i left the key in the off pos, but it still failed.

cheers

His- 82 XE 351c 300+KW
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
If you are getting 6, then its probably the brake wire. Check that before undoing the 556u setup. You probably hooked the brake shutdown wire upp to an ignition wire.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic