Subwoofer not responding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bchoi414 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone,
I'm notororious for running into problems with audio and here again I share another. Hopefully everyone can help me out here. To begin, I have 4ch amp running the speakers with no problems, so now Ive decided to add a sub, powered by a mono amp (MRP-350). Heres a quick graph I sketched out with my wiring:
Subwoofer not responding -- posted image.
Once I tested it out...the subwoofer was not responding, but the speakers were okay. The mono amp was on (blue lit), however. I'm running an 10" Alpine Type R S1042. I set it up so that it would run 2 ohms. I followed the settings from the manual so there shouldnt be a problem there...I had the jumpers set accordingly:
Subwoofer not responding -- posted image.
Also, I could hear a little squeaky distortion with everything plugged...once I unplugged the rca from the mono-amp it was gone...so could it be bad rca cables? My friend gave me his spare Radio Shack rca (gold ends). I just wanted to use those for the mean-time. As for the sub...I doubled check the wiring (basic stuff) and everything looked good. I'm still a newb at this so please let me know if there is any more info I could provide. Any suggestions would be great, I really appreciate it. Thanks
-Kevin
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
This may sound stupid but the wires DO go in with the jumpers right? Because there isnt any other input I can find on the sub itself.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using any crossovers?  Is the line-level output from your 4-channel amp full-range?
Support the12volt.com
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of amps do you have? Some multi channel amps have 2/4ch. switch.
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Audiobahn A4004T 4 ch. amp. Yeah, not the best pick...but I got it for free. Heres the manual:
http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/images/tech/Manuals/2004Manuals/Amplifiers/Intake%20amps.zip
I wish I could answer your questions DYohn but I'm not too sure myself. So is it possible that the audiobahn amp is not compatible with my alphine mono?
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
There's no reason why they wouldn't be compatible that I can see. First things first - take the RCA's from your 4-ch input & route them to the sub amp (IE bypass the 4 ch amp altogether) - does that get you sound?
You should tinker around like that & narrow down the possibilities of where the problem could be. Connect the sub to the 4-ch amp, try different RCA's, etc.
I'm betting it's a setting on the 4-ch amp that affects output on the passthru.
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:
Thats what i figure too,run another set or y cables,crossover etc...
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:
There's no reason why they wouldn't be compatible that I can see. First things first - take the RCA's from your 4-ch input & route them to the sub amp (IE bypass the 4 ch amp altogether) - does that get you sound?
You should tinker around like that & narrow down the possibilities of where the problem could be. Connect the sub to the 4-ch amp, try different RCA's, etc.
I will definetly try using a y-adapter through the input...the only thing i've done was run the rca from the HU directly to the mono amp but didnt even get anything...but I will try the other options you guys suggested and ill get back, thanks!
-Kevin
bchoi414 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
so I tried routing the rca...I'm still not getting anything from the sub. I originally have the rca's split for the 4ch amp since my HU only has one set of outputs. But all I did was left either ch 1/2 or 3/4 empty and plugged it into the mono amp instead but nothing. So I'm still clueless on this part...and another thing is...my speakers makes this distortion noise everytime the mono amp is connected too. I'll try messing around with other things and hopefully Ill get some kind of response
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Your mono amp may be toast.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic