icon

Gentex Mirror Wiring Diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lonnyda 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2003 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

Got both of my mirrors to work. Spoke with the good folks over at Mito Corp.  Their tech guy said that it would be pretty difficult for the mirror to burn out and that likely it was just a bad ground.  Carefully rechecking my connections, I found that to be the case and now both mirrors work perfectly.  The wiring matches the schematic that waltsckts provided above.

Thanks guys for all your help!!

Lon

2226cc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

dragonboi wrote:
I have a 16 pins mirror, wondering if any1 here knows what the each pins are use for?

I also have a 16-pin connector with 13 wires attached. I have opened the mirror and only managed to light up some LEDs to varying degrees while probing around with a continuity meter.

I received this earlier today.

1 -

2* - Bare - Microphone
6 - Brown - Air Temp Sensor
7 - GREEN/ Black - Air Temp Sensor
8 - Black - Ground
9* - Light Green - Reverse Dim Inhibit
10* - Gray - Microphone
11* - Dark GREEN / WHITE - Keypad Signal
12* - Light Green - +5v Keypad Voltage
13 - Yellow - 12v+ when Key is on
14* - Yellow/Black - Green LED Signal
15* - BROWN / White - Red LED signal
16 -

The ones marked with a * indicate optional connections.

My Gentex has the OnStar interface (3 buttons on the bottom, 1 power button). On my Gentex, pins #1, #6 and #7 are not wired up, so I guess this unit doesn't have a standard temperature feed, only the compass unit.

As I don't readily have a 12V supply around I tried to use my continuity tester as a feed, but that's only 9V so I haven't managed to fire this mirror up yet. Could you hook up pin #8 and #13 and see if your's works correctly?

I'm going to make up  a 12v collection of cells quickly to see what I can figure. I hope I haven't popped anything while probing around inside the unit with the continuity tester.

I am not sure about pin #16 as mine has a wire, but the list above shows nothing connected.

If anyone can fill in what #3-#5 and #16 are for I'd really appreciate it.

1989 Audi 200 turbo
gdoug 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
I also bought a Gentex Mirror with auto dim and compass features out of a wrecked 99 Suburban. It has a seven pin flat harness.  I installed it and got it working through much searching for wiring diagrams. It seems to be working correctly even though the wire for the Reverse is not hooked up. Waltsckts said the auto dim feature will not work correctly, though mine seems to be working OK. In what way will it not work correctly with the wire for the Backup mode is not hooked up or grounded? I only hooked up the Pink wire (+12 volts) and Black (Ground). The others are not hooked up ie: Backup mode, auto dim for side mirrors, and Temperature (which doesn't seem to be an installed function in this mirror)
fifo207 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

gdoug, I have the same Miror.

Here is the info I found on the reverse triggered wire.

12-VOLT (POSITIVE) REVERSE LAMP CONNECTION (OPTIONAL)

8.1 Route the white wire to a reverse triggered wire.

8.2 Using a multimeter, check for a wire at fuse block or in driver's step well area that tests for positive when shifting the vehicle into reverse.
8.3 Using a butt connector, scotch lock or t-tap connector, connect the wire to the reverse circuit wire at this time.

NOTE: The use of this optional wire is at your discretion. When vehicle is in reverse, it un-dims the mirror for better visibility.

The complete document can be found in http://www.mitocorp.com/mirror_installation.htm

On a side note. If any one know where I can find info on Ford Mustang 2001wiring diagram be much appriciated.

Thanks,

fifo207

gdoug 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

hey fifo207,

I don't know if he would be any help or not, but there is a guy that has a website about his Ford Crown Victoria P71 Interceptor. He seems to be a Ford Fan in general. I don't know if he can help you with your wiring diagram, but he might know where to find one. His site helped me the most, trying to wire up my mirror also.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/

http://www.p71interceptor.com/gentexmirror/

He has a link to his email address.

Hope this helps...

fifo207 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks gdoug,

Found most of what I needed in the car user manual (go figure ;)

Got it installed and working nice this weekend.

fleetwood96 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

I also just bought a Gentex auto-dimming ONSTAR mirror from eBay which has the 16-pin connector, compass, but no TEMP display.  I received a wiring diagram which matches an earlier posting, and it says pin 5 is IEC-OEC+ and pin 16 is OEC- with no further discussion of what these 2 things mean.  I wonder if this is to make the outside mirror(s) dim along with the rearview mirror?  My 2000 Seville STS has the autodimming mirror setup (including driver's door outside mirror) but no ONSTAR buttons.  I still would like the driver's mirror to dim along with the new Gentex mirror.  Does anyone know for sure about pins 5 & 16?  It also mentions that pins 3 and 4 are for Air Bag On (pin 3) and Off (pin 4).  I'm not sure how airbags relate to the function of the mirror (unless it could be for trucks which could have the passenger airbag turned off with a key)????????   All other pin layouts from the above note match my diagram.  Thanks for any advise... Doug

wolli 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I´ve also an Gentex Mirror with a 16 pin connector. It has the on star button and comp+temp.Does anybody know how to connect the mirror?

Pin1  Grey                                                                                                              

2  Bare

3,4,5 not used

6  blue/white

7  not used

8  Black

9  Green

10  Grey

11  GREEN / WHITE

12  GREEN/ Black

13  Brown

14  Yellow/Black

15  BROWN / White

16  Not used

Thanks for any help!!!

Wolli

Goofy66 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2003 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Gntx-261 that has the comp/temp/air bag notification/auto dimming, and have been trying to get a harness for this mirror.  Are all the pins on the mirrors the same?  Can any 16 pin gentex mirror harness be used on the mirror? 

The mirror I got is supposed to be for a 03 GMC truck (it has the air bag off notification on the lower mirror)  If I can use any harness, I can just buy one from GM for my 03 trailblazer or an 02 trailblazer that will work and have the right length of wiring.

Thanks for the help in advance

Duke 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2003 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

I just purchased a GNTX 177 on ebay. Can someone confirm if this has the comp and temp feature on this model? The seller claims it does but i already have this mirror in my '99 GMC Sierra with only the compass. Can i just add the temp sensor to this mirror and it work or did i get misled.

Thanks in advance

Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic