icon

1984 benz

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
russcuipylo 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

yea i just bought a 1984 300d turbo benz n im havin a hell of a time gettin the sterio to work mostly because i have no or little clue which wire is wich comming from the car to the tuner ne ideas or a place i can find a wiring diagram? meh.... ty for the help

~Russ in Ny

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
russcuipylo wrote:

yea i just bought a 1984 300d turbo benz n im havin a hell of a time gettin the sterio to work mostly because i have no or little clue which wire is wich comming from the car to the tuner ne ideas or a place i can find a wiring diagram? meh.... ty for the help

~Russ in Ny

1983-84 Mercedes 300 Series Stereo Information
Ground      Chassis
Illumination      n/a
Dimmer      n/a
Antenna      Left Rear
Front Speakers      4" Dash
Left Front (+)      White
Left Front (-)      Black
Right Front (+)      White
Right Front (-)      Black
Rear Speakers      5 1/4" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+)      White
Left Rear (-)      Black
Right Rear (+)      White
Right Rear (-)      Black
Hopefully those are it....... good luck. iF all else fails get a digital multimeter.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
russcuipylo wrote:

yea i just bought a 1984 300d turbo benz n im havin a hell of a time gettin the sterio to work mostly because i have no or little clue which wire is wich comming from the car to the tuner ne ideas or a place i can find a wiring diagram? meh.... ty for the help

~Russ in Ny

1983-84 Mercedes 300 Series Stereo Information
Ground      Chassis
Illumination      n/a
Dimmer      n/a
Antenna      Left Rear
Front Speakers      4" Dash
Left Front (+)      White
Left Front (-)      Black
Right Front (+)      White
Right Front (-)      Black
Rear Speakers      5 1/4" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+)      White
Left Rear (-)      Black
Right Rear (+)      White
Right Rear (-)      Black
Hopefully those are it....... good luck. iF all else fails get a digital multimeter.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

if you did not locate the factory tuner/amp you can try under the glove box or in the trunk. Let me know if there is an antenna cable at the dash area or not and I will help you with the install.

BTW the wiring info is all TOTALLY  wrong I want some of those drugs..lol, well not so much wrong as totally useless...( everything is N/A and it says antenna left rear..you figure out what that means..     Look for this:

Constant...red w/ white

acc. BLACK / YELLOW

ill...gray/red

remote for power ant...blue

ground...brown

speakers..depends BUT..the negatives will have a brown stripe..if a factory dash fader green is right...red is left....keep me posted. But one thing that is correct..verify with a meter..ALWAYS

russcuipylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
yea i was foolin around with it today and i found no amp and i blew 2 fuses... theyre gonna be a pain to buy (i blew them while accidently touching the constant to a metal surface) accident. the one thing that confuses me also is the speaker wires comming to tuner there are 2 2wire sets with 2 wires in each set (4 whires in totali think +- lefr and +- right) i did the battery check on them and found one is left side and one is right side but combined somewhere and the fact that the speakeres hit when a 9 volt bat is connected to them indicates no amp right? yea so sheould i run new wires? i have the wire and the knowhow the only thing i dont have the knowhow is with this older car ( i occasionalyy set up "systems" for other people on newer cars)
thanks
~russ
russcuipylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
o yea ifrogot to ost there are is atleast 1 wire for the antena the jack but the control is tricky b/c the antena dosent work
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

I am having a little difficulty understanding your posts but I can tell you that if a battery is poping the speakers there is no factory amp. You may have some blown speakers (it is an older vehicle) or perhaps a factory fader (look for the "dial" in the console or above the radio) Also if the antenna cable is at the dash there is no seperate tuner which should simplify the install. If the power antenna does not go up you will need to remast it or replace it if the motor is out or you will have lousy radio reception. However the CD will still work so it may be a non issue depending.

If all else fails simply replace the speakers. If still having problems run new wires from the speakers. As far as fuses you can get those at any auto parts store, although those type fuses are no longer used they are readily available. If no auto parts stores where you are have them you can order them on line (they are really cheap) or hit a junk yard and rape the fuses out of an older german car.

Good Luck

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
You can usually find the "T" connectors for the factory fader behind the dash. If you seperate them you can bypass the factory fader and use all four outputs on your deck.The wires will have either a red or green stripe on each pair, stripe is positive.The single blue lead is your power antenna lead, but there is also a switch on the dash that will control the height of the antenna, make sure it is in the max height position.
There is no such thing as free installation!
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yep thats correct tcss, see you remember the old school benzes as well..lol
russcuipylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
ok sounds simple enough i think i need a new antena motor and i got wized and ran new wires for all the speakeres thanks all i tikn am set i will either post photos of how the instilation went or just tell you thenks a bunnch everyone for the help!
~russ

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic