icon

Troubleshooting UltraStart 1250

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to troubleshoot a remote starter (Ultra Start TL1250) in a 2001 Silverado. I have never used Ultra Start before (Crimestopper guy).. The locks work fine but when he attempts a remote start the parking lights flash 5 times and then nothing...
The manual states that 5 flashes is "hood open". Well they didn't even hook up the hood pin, it's just cut and not hooked to anything. I did test it just to see if it was sitting at ground but nothing..
Anyone else have any ideas on what to check?
Thanks much!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Why don't you install a hood pin?
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
It's not my install. I'm just trying to fix it.
However, I don't install the hood pins either. What I do is add a female wire connector to my ground wire and then a male connector (can't think of what they are called) to the hoodpin wire so if it ever needed to be put in service mode it's simple.
Any ideas on my problem?
Thanks!
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

Do the leds flash 5 times? If so its a brake shut down, meter brake wire (pink) to see if its getting voltage at the brain. Try also reseting the brain and re-learn tach.

xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

Forgot also could be 4 slow flashes meaning the remote start thinks the ignition is on, just another area to check.

tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I checked the pink brake wire at the brain and it rests at 0 and goes to 12v when brake is depressed so I think it is fine.
I also just tested the IGN wire (BLUE) at the brain. It sits at 0 and stays at 0 when I press the remote start. It's like it's not even trying to start so that leads me to think either hood pin or brake but they both test good!! :S
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Oh.. And I tried resetting the brain but I'm not 100% it is resetting or not.. The truck has daytime running lights so anytime the key is "ON" the lights come on..
I don't hear the brain clicking (like the parking lights are being flashed) so maybe it's not resetting. I've tried resetting it numerous times but I never get any clicking from the brain to indicate it is indeed resetting.
xtremej 
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Ok take your meter put it in the white parkinglight output terminal on the brain, pull the fuse from the parking light wire (10amps). Now cycle the ignition 3 times from off to on, do not start, . now press/release the program button ( antenna) now meter should read 12v. Now hold down program button until the parkinglights flash several times. Its now reset. leave the meter plugged in, now turn the key to on it should read 12v on the meter again start it up leds should come on if valid tach siganl is present, let it run unitl the leds go out. Now giver a shot.
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:
Ok take your meter put it in the white parkinglight output terminal on the brain, pull the fuse from the parking light wire (10amps). Now cycle the ignition 3 times from off to on, do not start, . now press/release the program button ( antenna) now meter should read 12v. Now hold down program button until the parkinglights flash several times. Its now reset. leave the meter plugged in, now turn the key to on it should read 12v on the meter again start it up leds should come on if valid tach siganl is present, let it run unitl the leds go out. Now giver a shot.
Ok, dumb question. If I remove the fuse (thus removing the connection to the actual parking light wire) how are the parking lights going to flash? Thanks for the help!
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:
I did that and it appears to have hosed something up.. The truck won't start at all now and it wouldnt' even crank. I tried removing the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting it and now it just clicks when I try to crank.
HELP!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic