icon

Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab, stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbassbrent 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey folks, first post here. Great site! I’ve installed systems in all my vehicles and they have all sounded pretty darn good but this time I want it to be GREAT!! I plan to keep this vehicle for quite a while. I doubled my budget this time and got what I hope to be some fairly decent equipment. I want to make sure that I use any and all best practices available. So here are my questions
(for now): Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab, stereo system -- posted image.
1. Should I run a separate ground from the battery to the amps? I have read discussions on this and haven’t really seen a clear answer. If yes, does it need to be the same size as the power cable? (1/0 gauge)
2. Installing the crossovers, is it preferable to place the x-overs near the amp and run shorter wires from the amp to the x-over, then make long runs from the x-over to the speakers, which uses twice the wire, or does it even make any difference other than being able to show off your sexy xovers?
3. I still need to pick up some speaker wire. I was planning 10ga for the subs and 14ga for the front. Sound on track or overkill?
My Stuff:
Eclipse CD3000 HU
JBL Power PX600.2 (180 RMS into 4ohm x 2) pushing CDT ES 620 components in front doors
JBL GTO 1201.1 II (1114 RMS into 2ohm) pushing two Dayton Ref 10” HO (parallel 2ohm load), in sealed .45 enclosure
Lots of RAAMmat product and stock rear speakers ran off HU for rear fill
Vehicle is a Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel Truck
(Sorry for the long post with no pictures! Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab, stereo system -- posted image. )
Brent Parish
indiansprings 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished my 06 Superduty Crew Cab. I went with the Alpine 9856 HU, JL Audio everything else. A6450 amp, 6.5 JL XR 650-csi front, TR570-cxi rears, JL Stealthbox in the center seat. I used #2 power an ground. Ground point is about 1 foot from the amp. #12 wire to the speakers and #8 to the Stealthbox. Dynamat on all doors and under seats. Tweets in the a-pillers. Sound quality is awsome. The Dynamat really helped with the road noise and diesel rattle. For such a low priced system, I am extreamly pleased with the performance. Oh, I put the crossovers in the kick panels not in the doors.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Fire the crossovers up front to minimize the wire runs (unless you plan on showing the system). Do not put them in the doors.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bigbassbrent 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
indiansprings wrote:

Tweets in the a-pillers.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a nice system. How did you mount your tweets in the a-pillars? Got any pictures? I have been debating about adding the upstage kit for the CDT's but I am worried about being able to make the tweets look nice in the a-pillars. Any help?
As far as the ground goes, I just read that if the resistance is less than 1 ohm I should be able to ground to the body somewhere. I had read somewhere the best way is the run a cable from the battery, I really dont want to spend the 50-60 bucks for cable if its not necessary.
Thanks again,
Brent Parish
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

In this vehicle you should be able to ground to the body. For the tweeters, it is also possible to mold them into the sail panels (the panels that cover the side mirror mounts at the top of the door). They just happen to sound nice there as well.

bigbassbrent 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

In this vehicle you should be able to ground to the body. For the tweeters, it is also possible to mold them into the sail panels (the panels that cover the side mirror mounts at the top of the door). They just happen to sound nice there as well.

Excellent news on the ground. Thanks a bunch. I was thinking about tweets in the sails but the driver side one is about 80 percent blocked by the instrument panel. Seems like that would mess things up a bit?
Brent Parish
forbidden 
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

They fit if you do them properly, there is more than enough room for them at the top....I have this very vehicle. Break out the sandpaper and the bondo.

suburban boy 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  

Welcome first off, i have an 04 F250 4X4 with the pioneer avic HU and 3 10w7 in a custom box (put a swazall to my bed and cab Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab, stereo system -- posted image.) with JL amps and speakers, i mounted my speackers (3 way JL componets) on the kicker panel below and they sound good...

1) i ran a 1/0 from my second battery to a distribution block and spilt off to the amps wiht 1 gauge, i grounded to the body then from there to the frame wiht a welded on bolt, i kept my crossover close to the 450/4 amp and the speaker wires long,

2) I ran 10 gauge speaker wires and 8 guage to my subs

Suburban boy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic