icon

different ohm loads on the same amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nah_zee 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
Would it be safe to wire a svc 4ohm sub on one channel of the amp and a set of svc 4 ohm subs on the other channel of a two channel amp that is 2 ohm stable. I have to 10's and one 12 and I don't want to run all the subs off of one bridged channel. So my thought was to run the 10's in parallel on one channel yielding a 2 ohm load and the 12 wired normal to the other channel yielding a 4 ohm load, but I wasn't sure how the amp would handle this configuration.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
Will it work?  Sure.  Will it sound good?  Probably not.  The single sub will receive twice the power that each of the dual subs receives and will be dominate the sound and depending on many factors too numerous to list right now you could end up with less total output due to cancellations.  Plus, a 2-ohm load on each channel is the same net result as a 4-ohm load bridged, so you do not gain any advantage in terms of amplifier loading.  If I were you I'd dump the 10's and use the 12 by itself with a proper subwoofer amp not a stereo amp.
Support the12volt.com
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
If you run them all bridged, in parallel, you will net a 2 ohm load. This will be ideal for powering all the subs, but remember, they will be powered equally. If you are set on going with two separate channels, your best bet would be to run the 12" on one channel at 4 ohms, then the two tens in series at 4 ohms.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
   4 + 4 + 4 = 1.33    Do NOT bridge your amp on all your speakers.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
   4 + 4 + 4 = 1.33    Do NOT bridge your amp on all your speakers.
Sorry but your addition skills are off
4 + 4 + 4 = 12
I think you meant parallel which would be this
(1/4) + (1/4) + (1/4) = .75^(-1) = 1.33
And he CAN bridge his amp to all of this speakers but they will still sound like crap
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
Please read his initial post his amp is 2 ohm stable that is 2 ohms per channel. Someone else told him it was OK to parallel all his woofers and bridge them on the amp. If he parallels all his woofers and runs a 4 ohm mono amp at 1.33 ohms he is going to have problems.
austincustoms 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
"run the 10's in parallel on one channel yielding a 2 ohm" - if two subs are run in parallel at two ohms, each sub would be 2 ohms. Your math is off.
all in parallel would look like this: 4x2x2/4+2+2= 2
He also said his amp is 2 ohm stable bridged.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
My math is off?   3    4ohm speakers = 2ohms
Is it just me?
And also did anyone else see where he said his amp was 2 ohm stable BRIDGED?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

Three 4 ohm speakers wired parallel = 1.33 ohms. Three 4 ohm speakers wired in series = 12 ohms. If either of you would state how you are wiring them, there would be no confusion.

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
different ohm loads on the same amp -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
austincustoms 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I mis-read the part about the amps stability. Each channel is 2, not 2 bridged. Not that it is relevant now, but he doesn't have 3-4ohm speakers, he has 1-4ohm, and 2-2ohm sub woofers, creating a 2ohm load when they are all run parallel. If you read the part about the 10's, it said his two 10's run parallel yield 2ohms, making each one 2ohms. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like an ass and second guess you, I just wanted to clear it up.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic