icon

fiberglass and osha

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chifry 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

My employer wont let us do any fiberglass work because they are afraid OSHA will fine us. Does anyone know what kind of requirments they have(certain ventalation, specific respirator etc.) I have called OSHA and checked their site but can't seem to get any answers. 

Thanks

mannyd85 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering about htis too anyone help?
hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

WELL HMMMM.

i have to keep all my "flamables" in a yellow "flamable" cabinet. and as far as ventilation you cant get much better than an open shop door!  i cant say it would ever be a problem, sounds like ur owner is just a puss ss ss lol j/k

speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
The laws are rather simple (common sense stuff) and not aggressively enforced at most car audio shops due to the fact that various authorities are not typically aware that hazardous materials are in use at car audio shops. Your best bet is to contact your local body shops and marine repair shops and find out what kind of hoops they have had to jump through. Unlike your shop they are frequently checked on and must be in compliance at all times. You might have to talk to more than one or two guys before you find someone willing to take the time to give you the lowdown though.
Also check EPA, and fire dept.
As far as your boss goes, I have found that the osha card is one that an employer will use when they don’t really want you to do fiberglass because of other reasons. Maybe not the case for you but just be aware.
By the way I have been doing fiberglass work in CA and in compliance with local regulations for 15 years and have never been fined. And CA is the strictest state. There is no expensive equipment to buy. But you do need to be careful about how you dispose of your waste material.
OSHA is concerned with employee health, so that organization will want you to have respirators on hand ($25 OSHA approved models available at auto parts store)and that you have adequate ventilation (a door that can be opened) and that you have an eye wash setup.
EPA is concerned with environmental impact and will be concerned with solvents not being dumped down the drain into the public water system. That you don’t spray professional grade auto body paints without a paint booth, and that you don’t sweep your sanded waste out the door (it needs to go in the trash can.
The fire department is going to want your chemicals to be properly stored. In CA they also check for illegal painting.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic