icon

custom console box with a 10w6 or w7?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nathan k 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I've been thinking of a project lately that goes like this..
Ive got a 2003 quad cab ram. In between the front seats is a smaller seat with a flip down armrest/storage thing that doubles as a seat back when its up. I want to take out the seat completely and build a box to hold either a JL 10w6v2 or a 10w7. The sub would face out the back, towards the knee area of someone sitting in the middle back seat. I want to do it this way because I think the look would be much cooler than hiding it in a downfiring style box. Im also choosing between these subs because their cones match my interior perfectly. I have mulitple concerns with the idea..
1) Vented or sealed?
2)If vented, what should be the port dimensions?
3) Also if its vented, i want the port to be on the bottom, any reason not to?
3) Which sub? I want it to play loud but I need it to sound good as well
specs on the w6:400w rms, .5-1.0 cubic feet sealed, .75-1.25 cubic feet ported
specs on the w7:500w rms, 1.25 cubic feel sealed, 1.5 feet vented
Im going to attach a picture of a similar box, out of a similar truck, except this one has a 12" L7, and the port is different, so you can get an idea of what im lookin at. And a picture i spent 3 seconds on in paint for what im thinking of
Thanks for any and all help guys, and sorry for the novel of a thread, I just cant screw this thing up because its in plain sight to the whole cab, and I need it to be worth the time and money.
custom console box with a 10w6 or w7? - Last Post -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

I'd do the W6 in 1 cu ft sealed.  But either one in the same box would be good.  It would depend on how much power you intend to give it.

Those drivers are listed in the WinISD database.  If you want to increase your knowledge during this project, read and follow my guide stickied above.  Use those subs and do some comparisons.  I think you'll find that venting either one will necessitate a larger box volume than you may have available (box volume includes the port volume, which you'll find to be quite large).  And best SQ will be gotten from using the sealed alignment.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nathan k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would be giving each sub however much power it needs, as ill wait to buy my amp after I choose the sub. You suggest doing a w6 in a sealed, but i always thought vented boxes were supposed to be louder? Correct me if im wrong, and yes im a noob. Why do you vote aginst the w7? Right now I have 2 Memphis MClass 10's in an underseat MTX Thunderform box, theyve got about 400 watts going to them, do you think this setup will sound better than those 2 Memphis subs? Also, where would I be able to find carpet that would be a perfect match to my OEM interior colors? Thanks for the help
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

If you've got the room, and power, for the W7 in a correct-sized enclosure -go for it. If not, use a W6.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2007 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

Yea I like the idea and install concept.  Make sure you can - very securly - attach that box to the center console in some highly rigid fashion.

The w6 would be my final choice as well, particularly given your limited install space.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
nathan k 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2007 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I will definitely have it installed securely. There will be four bolts going through the bottom MDF that will go into the factory holes where the seat is coming out. I found a pretty good deal on a w7 and 500/1 amp that I think im gonna jumb on, but if the building time comes and I think im limited on space i will just sell the w7 for a w6
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
nathan k wrote:
bump again. No one read these forums?
You also have to remember that it is the holidays, and MANY people aren't even lurking right now... Vacation Time.
Calm down, and wait... Someone will get to your question... custom console box with a 10w6 or w7? - Last Post -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
thats a bad ass idea. having the sub in the console is great. i had a "hot box" with a 12 infinty perfect in my dodge and it was great. i'm a big fan of console subs. it's great to have the bass up front. i think since your going for looks too that you should stick with a solobaric kicker just cuz it's square, the lines really go well together. that box in the pic is sweet, makes me want to get another truck
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
nathan k 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, lot of guys are running those hot boxes, have never heard a bad thing about them. Id be all over it if i didnt want my sub exposed
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
no, i agree with you. i really like the idea.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic