icon

2003 f150 dash and headliner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am planning on fiberglassing my dash and headliner to match.  They will have 3d or embossed flames coming out of the windshield area to halfway back.  I have used fiberglass before and had positive results, I am aware of matting, resin, fleece, filler...  Not in that order of course.  I have already glassed my A pillars, smoothing out the passenger side, and adding 3 guage pods to the drivers side.  Will post pics when all that fun sanding bs is done lol!  I am however curious as to how I should go about doing the flames, any advice +/- is acceptable.  I won't be offended either way.  so I will post more when I get some input.  Im ready to go to town on that interior, so I'll keep you all posted.
Make it Euro'n!!!
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Also, I have already shaved the antenna, emblems(all), and tailgate handle.  I have installed a pirana bodykit, cobra cowl hood, and tonneau cover.  I have customized the seats and put a killer sound system in it(2 12 inch earthquake sws in a custom built box under the back seat. all factory lighting has been upgraded.  short ram intake and dual exhaust(flowmaster).  street scene sport mirrors and speed grille. I custom made the grille for the bumper as they do not make one for my body kit.  LOOKS BADASS! will post those pics when the damn snow stopps flying here in cold as crap wisconsin, so i can get some new pics up!
Make it Euro'n!!!
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
i see there have been alot of viewings of this threat, yet no input.  please any if all input or advice.  im at a stand still right now. i will keep everyone up to date on pics, progress etc...  one of my pet peaves is no responses for all of you who ask, you shall see.  i just need to know how to go about this the right way.
Make it Euro'n!!!
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Draw out your flames in pencil, then lay down foam tape over your lines. Bondo up to and around the foam tape. After the body filler hardens (not fully)sand to get the contour that you want. Now pull the tape up and you will have perfect embossed lines in the shape of flames.
Try experimenting with various sizes of tape and foam weather striping to get the effect that you want.
Wax the tape for easy removal.
Work in small sections at a time to reduce sanding time.
You can paint over this or cover in material.
I have found that subtle size lines give the best effect.
2003 f150 dash and headliner - Last Post -- posted image.
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

thanks speakermakers,

i'm trying more for the 3d appearance though, like the dash cover nuimage makes with the 3d flames, just not as "wow thats overkill" so if you gotta anything for me on that i would appreciate it.  you really seem to know what you are talking about so thanks again, and i would love to see more pics of ur ride looks really sharp.

Make it Euro'n!!!
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
alright, so after careful concideration, i decided to keep it simple and clean.  no flames, too busy.  so i took out my headliner finally(since wisconsin is so damn cold and it finally warmed up to around 40 or 50 degrees now) and i took off the factory fabric and am ready to begin this fg project.  not sure how to start though, should i wrap it in fleece first then start to resin, or what?  i wanna keep the stock look, but smooth and paint it.  how many layers of glass, how thick for strength, and how to finish is where i sit  right now. let me know and i will post pics. thanks in advance.
Make it Euro'n!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic