icon

super strange noise problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
I have adjusted my gains but they may be slightly too high so I will go aout and change them in about 3 hours when I go out. The noise is significant so I don't think the gain is esponsible but I will take your suggestion and try it out. As far as something else happening like pinched rca's or something with the factory wiring, those two are highly unlikely in my situation for this simple reason. When the car was parked immediately before I was going to change headunits, I listened to music. Everything was working perfectly and the car was not driven anymore so their was no chance for anything to happen. As far as the rca's being damaged, they are knukoncepts krystal cables which are super thick and are triple shielded to keep noise out. These rca's are seriously thick and large and I aren't the culprit here. Speakermakers, I read the other post that you linked me to. Their is absolutely no ground loop in my case simply because every single component in my system is grounded at the same point which I describe above. Also it is super important to keep in mind that not a single thing changed other than my headunit. All the wires and rca's didn't move an inch. This system didn't have an ounce of alternator noise for months. Their was a very slight noise when I had the rca's unplugged from the hu with the hu on which was sending the turn on signal to the amps. I believe this noise was being eminated from the actual body of the HU for the simle reason that when I moved the rca's closer to the hu, the noise increased. I can't fully move the rca's from the headunit's location cause I have all the wires zip tied and it will be too much work simply to have a dead end. What I am going to do is play with the gains on my front components. I am running them active and I do indeed think that the gains to both my midrange and tweets are slightly too high. The volume is getting loud to early on the volume dial and I did have in mind yesterday to lower it significantly. I will let you all know what happens. I think I will try as best as possible to sell this POS jensen and I think I will go out and get myself a new headunit. I am sticking exclusively to Alpine, Kenwood and Eclipse from now on. Even Pioneer scares me because of their RCA preout issues. Again I will let you all know what happens and thank you.
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have a firm grip on what the problem(s) might be so you are on the rite track and I am sure that you will soon find the culprit. I have to say though that given the info you supplied you have more than one problem. Keep in mind that ALL car audio systems have noise. Every one of them. The trick is to get the noise floor below the level that your ears can detect. I think that you have a collective problem with the head unit being the prominent contributor. I just always have a problem with blaming the equipment. Even with swap meet level equipment more often than not noise problems are a consequence of other factors.
Please let me know what happens.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok here is an update on the situation. I went ahead and discovered the gains to be indeed to high. The volume was getting too loud very early on the dial. I lowered the gain on my tweeters significantly and slightly lowered the gains on my midrange. My setup is active so that is how I am able to do this. Anyhow, while this Jensen unit clearly doesn't have the noise rejection of the more reputable brands I have used, I have now managed to get the alternator noise significantly lower. In fact, I am not even sure it their anymore, a regular person sitting in my car will surely hear no noise. I am so happy right now a I thought I just chuked a fe hundred dollars into the toilet and that I would be miserable every time I listened to it. Anyhow,even though I got this to work, I will just save up some more dough and go with a serious piece of equipmen, not one that is packed with features ar a low price to satisfy bargain shoppers. Thanks again to all for your help.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I can't believe that making some gain adjustments would remove such a serious case of noise. I learned something new. Thanks again.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic