icon

port placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I am building a box for my friend that is for two 15" subs. He wants a ported enclosure for it. When I started to design the enclosure I noticed because of the size of the subs there is no room for the port on the front. The width is only 37 inches or so and the subs take up most of that space. Know I don't know where I can place the port in the enclosure.
I first thought to have the subs upfire and have the port on the bottom. The problem with that is that the port length would be very long because of the large area. I didn't want to put the port on the sides of the enclosure because it would go right into the wall of the truck. I would not think that would sound good. Also, I tried to put the port in the front but I can't because again the subs are so big. I figured next to use round ports intsead of slot ports but that didn't seem to work. I either had too much port noise or too long of a port for it to be practical.
I have figured a couple of ideas that I could use to get it to work but I don't want to use them unless I really have to. I was hoping that someone here will have a good idea that I didn't think of yet.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you are trying to port too small an enclosure.  If your port length is too long, either use a smaller diameter port or make the enclosure larger.  Your port should ideally be on the same baffle as the driver(s).
Support the12volt.com
collyn eastham 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
The wavelengths of the frequencies at the tuning point will be too long to be an issue. Put the port wherever it will fit and not have obstructions in front of the port that are nearer than the diameter of the port. up,down,front,back,sides....it will not matter much in a car since the subs and ports are basically a pressure pump in a car.
Collyn Eastham
a.k.a. 300MBQuart
08 HHR Panel
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Is there anything wrong with putting the port on the top of the enclosure?
I haven't seen that before. I was just thinking that people don't do it because stuff might fall in the port. That is what i am thinking is my best option now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic