icon

alarm window control modules

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
datadesign 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2008 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

I have a question that concerns window control modules. Question is when the control receives a signal to raise the window, does the control detect when the window is in the full up position or does it just provide power to the motor for a preset length of time? Curious because if the window is powered for a preset time, it would seem that the window drive would have a shortened life span. I have replaced window drives before and it’s not that fun. Thanks for any comment on subject.

phonymike 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
depends what alarm and module you have. my 530T does 2 windows and has 4 settings each of when to stop. you set it to your window, that way it turns off when it senses a strong pressure. my passenger window takes less pressure than the moonroof. you can hear the relays click off when the window it all the way down or up. you can wire it to the alarm's "armed" wire. the wire will be hot when armed, but the 530T knows when to stop powering the window. plus an auxiliary input can lower the windows, because everybody loves remote windows.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
I still haven't gotten around to installing my 530T, but I think it's based on how much current is being demanded by the window motors.
I would imagine that as the window is traveling up or down, it's relatively easy, and the motor doesn't pull much current........on the other hand, when it reaches the end of its travel, the motor hits a lot of resistance, and demands a lot more current. That's when the window module decids to stop.
So, it should just overexert the motor for just a fraction of a second, just like what happens when you close the window by yourself.
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo is right. I have two Directed 530T modules installed in my car, and you can hear them click on and off.
Thing is, when installing them, you need to set them at the correct current draw "level". When I installed mine for the first time, I first had them set on their maximum draw setting. When I activated them, the window would roll to its utmost position and stop, but the 530T would still supply current (you could hear the electricity "sing" in the motor). I then changed the setting to the proper level. The relays now click almost instantaneously when the windows reach their utmost positions.
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
datadesign 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for the information. I will be putting in a new alarm in my Tundra and the window control is an option.  What I really need is a sensor to detect someone vandalizing the tire area.
DataDesign

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic