icon

sealed trunk or open to cabin?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
omzig10 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering what the advantages and/or disadvantages are of having the airspace between the trunk and the cabin of a vehicle as one vs. separate.  I have 2 12'' subs in (separate) sealed enclosures in the trunk and CURRENTLY the trunk is a sealed airspace.  I've always had the "holes" that held the rear deck speakers open to allow air to flow between the trunk and the cabin, but my installer used dynamat to "seal them off" this time.  I was wondering if it's better to have that airspace separated like that, or if it's better to allow the air to move into the cabin and use the entire cabin + trunk space as the airspace for the sub.

I'm looking for the best SOUND, not particularly what will blow the glass out the back of my Civic... ;-)

Thank you,

Omzig10

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
ozmig10 wrote:
I was wondering what the advantages and/or disadvantages are of having the airspace between the trunk and the cabin of a vehicle as one vs. separate.
Woofers that play directly into the listening environment are always louder, and IMO, cleaner, than trunk subs.\
Trunk subs have to sort of "fight" through the back seat and what-not - they're never as loud.
ozmig10 wrote:
but my installer used dynamat to "seal them off" this time.
At worst this is probably a waste of dynamat - its purpose is to remove vibration from metal - the metal in that part of the car is usually quite stiff, part of the cars steel crash-cage, so I don't think it would be vibrating anyway - but I can't imagine it would really make some sort of detrimental impact. This I wouldn't really worry about.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
omzig10 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

I guess the REAL question that is on my mind is whether I should cut out the dynamat covering the 3 holes (left and right rear as well as stock sub) allowing the sound/air movement up into the cabin, rather than leaving the trunk completely sealed off (as it currently is).

Thanks in advance.

Omzig10

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
ozmig10 wrote:
I guess the REAL question that is on my mind is whether I should cut out the dynamat covering the 3 holes (left and right rear as well as stock sub) allowing the sound/air movement up into the cabin, rather than leaving the trunk completely sealed off
I mean what I was trying to say is that this will make a negligible - probably non-existent difference - I would leave it alone. My sense of what you are describing is that it will sound the same -or about the same - either way.
punkguyta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well look at it this way, it's like choosing between a ported subwoofer box or a sealed one, same principal, bigger "box" with wheels too! A sealed one may be able to hit lower notes that rattle the ass of the car, but at the same time a ported box (like I have my subwoofer atm) is louder, not nessesarily cleaner, but blends in with my stereo better and overall sounds better. So the idea is, if you're looking for a nice loud punch then I would try just cutting out one of the holes (try the one on the drivers side, ie: left speaker) and see how it sounds. If you cut out all three, it would most likely loose effect, as this also ties into why we tune our subwoofer box port for a specific frequency, if there are too many holes opened (same idea as cutting a port that's too big) it's tuned for a frequency way below what the subwoofers are capable of and thusly it loses effect. Experiment, if one hole is too loud, cut open another.
Chrysler LHS w/ infinity 11 speaker factory system, 1200 watt sub on the way.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
ozmig you are talking about those oval holes underneath the rear dash right?  The ones some car makers drop 6x9's in or whatever?   Those are the holes covered in dynamat right?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic