icon

waterproof material that lets air pass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
project is a jeep wrangler...problem is, if you leave the top down..sometimes it gets wet :P.
sooo...what im trying to accomplish is waterproofing the audio equipment..the bottom of the jeep is getting herculined...and the sub box in the rear (2 apline 10" type Rs) is firing down with a lip around the subs...so water cant get to them..also, the box is being herculined.
now for the drama piece..the amp rack...going to build it to go under the rear seat..what im HOPING to do..is build the amprack..enclosed with a intake fan on one side, and an exhaust fan on the other..BUT its defeating the purpose, unless i can find a material to put in front of the fans...i need one that will let the air pass, but keep the water out..and im stuck.
the amps, may even be mounted upside down under the seat, to keep them off of the floor..any ideas on the material im looking for would be awesome..thanx alot :)
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2008 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure you would be able to find a material to put there, but you could build a 'tunnel' system that would let air go down and back up, but would prevent water from going back up.  A P-trap with a hole in the low spot comes to mind.  Of course the hole would be to drain any water that does settle in the bottom.
Kevin Pierson
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
basically what he said is the best way. build the box with fans on both sides, then have 2 "pipes" that turn to face directly down. It may not be 100% waterproof, but water cannot travel upwards, so it will prevent water from getting in. The only time that it wont do a thing is if you decide to take it through a water crossing and the water level goes higher than the amp rack.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

But if the rest of the box is airtight wth the exception of the pipes, then even if the water get's higher than the amp, the amp may not get wet because of the Bell effect where the air pressure will keep the water out.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
yea... i barely passed physics... so he's probably right... lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
yea... i barely passed physics... so he's probably right... lol
If you are referring to me, I would like to state that I am FEMALE. Yes, a girl that fabricates and builds with the guys.
bigblockzx 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
kidtransam wrote:
project is a jeep wrangler...problem is, if you leave the top down..sometimes it gets wet :P.
sooo...what im trying to accomplish is waterproofing the audio equipment..the bottom of the jeep is getting herculined...and the sub box in the rear (2 apline 10" type Rs) is firing down with a lip around the subs...so water cant get to them..also, the box is being herculined.
now for the drama piece..the amp rack...going to build it to go under the rear seat..what im HOPING to do..is build the amprack..enclosed with a intake fan on one side, and an exhaust fan on the other..BUT its defeating the purpose, unless i can find a material to put in front of the fans...i need one that will let the air pass, but keep the water out..and im stuck.
the amps, may even be mounted upside down under the seat, to keep them off of the floor..any ideas on the material im looking for would be awesome..thanx alot :)
Do not mount your amps upside down you are asking for overheating problems.
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Not always... there was no statement about which amp(s) are being used. SOME amps can be mounted upside down. It's a matter of which one he/she has.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic